Steve Gietschier has been a SABR member since 1987. He joined the staff of the Sporting News in 1986, as the publication was celebrating its centennial, to take charge of the company's archives. He turned a chaotic collection of books, periodicals, photographs, index cards, clippings, and other materials into the Sporting News Research Center, one of the outstanding special libraries specific to sport, especially baseball, in the United States. He also wrote the annual "Year in Review" essay in the Baseball Guide and edited the Complete Baseball Record Book for five years. When the Sporting News moved its editorial offices from St. Louis to Charlotte, North Carolina, in July 2008, the Research Center was dismantled, its holdings boxed up, and its staff discharged.
SABR BioProject biographies written by Steve Gietschier
SABR Journal Articles written by Steve Gietschier
- Henry Chadwick Award: Lee Allen
- Henry Chadwick Award: J.G. Taylor Spink
- Henry Chadwick Award: Tom Heitz
- Henry Chadwick Award: Paul Dickson
- More Whimpers Than Bangs: How Batters Perform When “It’s the World Series and they’re down to their final out”