SABR 43: Information
SABR 43 is July 31-August 4, 2013, at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, 1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, just blocks from City Hall, Independence Hall and many other Philadelphia landmarks. All baseball fans are welcome to attend.
Complete schedule and details can be found online at SABR.org/convention. Please consult the "pocket schedule" that will be available in your registration packet for the most up-to-date schedule at SABR 43.
The featured speakers at SABR 43 include David Montgomery, General Partner, President and CEO of the Philadelphia Phillies, and Larry Bowa, former Phillies player and manager.
Film producer Aviva Kempner will also host an exclusive screening of film extras from her award-winning documentary The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg.
In addition, we'll have several exciting panel discussions, including:
- an innovative Statistical Analysis Panel with SABR President Vince Gennaro, Bill Petti of FanGraphs, sabermetrics pioneer Dick Cramer and fantasy baseball expert Steve Mann
- a Women in Baseball Panel with Phillies executive Susan Ingersoll Papaneri, U.S. National Women's Baseball Team members Robin Wallace and Kristin Mills Caldwell, All-American Girls Professional Baseball League alumnus Sarah Ferguson and pro umpire Perry Barber
- the colorful “Imagining Baseball” Panel with MLB Official Historian John Thorn, authors Steve Wulf and Eric Rolfe Greenberg, and memorabilia collector Dr. Mark Cooper
- a Media Panel with Jayson Stark of ESPN, 2013 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Paul Hagen, Alan Schwarz of the New York Times, longtime Philadelphia sportswriter Donald Hunt and ESPN Deportes' Leonte Landino
- a Philadelphia Baseball History Panel with award-winning authors Norman Macht, Jerry Casway, Richard Hershberger, Rich Westcott and David Jordan
- a Player Panel that includes former Phillies greats Gary "Sarge" Matthews and Dickie Noles, moderated by longtime Philadelphia PA announcer Dan Baker.
There will be 32 groundbreaking presentations of baseball research — including a study of integration in independent baseball decades before Jackie Robinson's debut; untold stories of Bill Veeck's promotional genius; the exciting possibilities of motion-capture technology in baseball analytics; using Big Data to examine pitcher vs. batter performance; and the Great Rube Waddell Straw Hat Mystery of 1905.
We'll also have a special tour of historic Philadelphia ballpark sites, a vintage 1860s-style base ball game (near Pat's and Geno's!), and a special video presenation by ESPN's Steve Wulf on Phillies great Johnny Callison. The Awards Luncheon on Friday will include keynote speaker Rob Manfred, Kevin Kane's "Breaking the Line with the Mudville Nine," and the presentation of SABR's highest honor, the Bob Davids Award. As always, there’s the highly competitive and entertaining SABR Trivia Contest finals on Saturday night.
- Hotel: The Philadelphia Marriott Downtown is at 1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, just blocks from City Hall, Independence Hall and many other Philadelphia landmarks. Call (877) 212-5752 to book your room or visit the hotel's website at www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/phldt-philadelphia-marriott-downtown.
- Ballgame: Braves at Phillies, Friday, August 2.
- Registration: SABR members: $199. Non-members: $252.
- Scholarships: Click here to learn more about the Yoseloff Scholarship to attend future SABR conferences.
- Schedule: Click here for a full day-by-day schedule of SABR 43 events.
- Speakers: Phillies President/CEO David Montgomery and former Phillies player and manager Larry Bowa highlight our list of featured speakers at SABR 43; click here for more details.
- Research presentations: Click here for the schedule of research presentations at SABR 43, including abstracts and presenter bios.
- Poster presentations: Click here for abstracts of the research posters that will be on display all week at SABR 43.
- Committee meetings: Click here for the schedule of research and functional meetings at SABR 43.
- Transportation tips: Click here for more details on getting to Philadelphia and getting around when you're in town.
- Vendors Room: Click here to visit our SABR 43 digital vendors room; come visit our supporters in Philadelphia, too.
- Host chapter: Learn more about the Philadelphia/Connie Mack Chapter here or click here to "like" the chapter page on Facebook.
- Contact: For more information on SABR 43, contact convention committee co-chairs Seamus Kearney or Dick Rosen.