Fall 2010 Baseball Research Journal
Volume 39, Issue 2
“No, I’m a Spectator Like You”: Umpiring in the Negro American League
Bob Motley umpired in the Negro American League from 1947-58 and, as of 2010, is the only surviving umpire from the Negro Leagues.
Does a Pitcher’s Height Matter?
Analyzing the truth about taller pitchers being more durable and intrinsically better than shorter pitchers.
Beyond Bunning and Short Rest: An Analysis of Managerial Decisions That Led to the Phillies’ Epic Collapse of 1964
Starting Jim Bunning and Chris Short on short rest wasn't the only critical decision manager Gene Mauch during the 1964 Philadelphia Phillies' monumental collapse.
- The Macmillian Baseball Encyclopedia, the West System, and Sweat Equity
The Law Firm and the League: Morgan, Lewis and Bockius LLP, Major League Baseball, and MLB.com
Ten years ago, Major League Baseball and a law firm based in Philadelphia consummated the transfer of a unique and valuable baseball property.
The Next Frontier—China
MLB officials are confident baseball’s popularity will spread throughout China, and they have 1.3 billion reasons to believe China will be a significant part of baseball’s future.
Departure Without Dignity: The Athletics Leave Philadelphia
It was an overwhelming set of unfavorable circumstances that came together to seal the fate of the Philadelphia Athletics.
The Many Flavors of DIPS: A History and an Overview
How much control, if any, does a pitcher have over whether a batted ball in play falls in for a hit? What if something that had traditionally been regarded as the pitcher’s responsibility was simply the residue of luck?
Home Run Derby Curse: Fact or Fiction?
Analyzing whether players who participate in the Home Run Derby see their performance suffer in the second half.
- Field of Liens: Real-Property Development in Baseball
- It’s Not Fiction: The Race to Host the 1954 Southern Association All-Star Game
- The Fightingest Pennant Race: Brockton versus Lawrence in the Eastern New England League, 1885
- Is There Racial Bias Among Umpires?
- Hitting Streaks: A Reply to Jim Albert
- Great Streaks: A Response to Trent McCotter
- Who Wore Uniform Number 16 for the Tigers—Before Prince Hal?
- The Day the Phillies Went to Egypt