Ron Gabriel Award
The Ron Gabriel Award annually honors the author(s) of the best research, published or unpublished, on the subject of the Brooklyn Dodgers completed during the preceding calendar year. Eligible works include but are not limited to magazine and journal articles, previously unpublished chapters or articles in anthologies or other books with multiple authors, unpublished research papers, written versions of oral presentations, books, databases and websites.
Ron Gabriel (1941-2009), a native of Brooklyn, New York, and longtime resident of Bethesda, Maryland, was a former Vice President of SABR and instrumental in establishing the Bob Davids Chapter, which serves the Washington-Baltimore region. He was founder and president of the Brooklyn Dodger Fan Club, and a charter elected member of the Brooklyn Dodger Hall of Fame. Gabriel, who earned his Ph.D. in Human Resource Management from American University, was a retired U.S. Government executive, having served with the Postal Service Management Institute, the Department of Defense and the General Services Administration.
2018 award nominations
SABR is now accepting submissions for the 2018 Ron Gabriel Award, which annually honors the author(s) of the best research, published or unpublished, on the subject of the Brooklyn Dodgers completed during the 2017 calendar year.
To submit a nomination, please send a copy of your work to Gary Sarnoff at email@example.com, and include the work's title, author, publisher, date, and web link (if applicable). To send review copies of a book, contact Gary for shipping details.
Previous winners of the Ron Gabriel Award
- Bill Sullivan, Prologue in Long Before the Miracle: The Making of the New York Mets (CreateSpace)
- Mort Zachter, Gil Hodges: A Hall of Fame Life (University of Nebraska Press)
- Andy McCue, Mover & Shaker: Walter O'Malley, the Dodgers, and Baseball's Westward Expansion (University of Nebraska Press)
- John G. Zinn, Paul G. Zinn, eds., Ebbets Field: Essays and Memories of Brooklyn's Historic Ballpark, 1913-1960 (McFarland & Co.)
- Lyle Spatz, ed., The Team that Forever Changed Baseball and America: The 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers (University of Nebraska Press)
- Lyle Spatz, Dixie Walker: A Life in Baseball (McFarland & Co.)