Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference
The 18th annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference will be held August 6-8, 2015, at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The conference is open to all baseball, history and sports fans of all ages.
- Register today! Click here to register online at the SABR Store. Or click here to download a registration form and information packet (PDF); please mail your check or money order before July 31 to SABR Malloy Conference, 4455 E. Camelback Rd., Suite D-140, Phoenix, AZ 85018. Early registration is available until May 18, 2015. Early-bird registration is $155 for an adult rate (includes all activities) or $110 for a student rate. Single-day registration for Friday or Saturday is $90. The rate for the Thursday education forum only is $15. Optional sessions are also available.
- Book your hotel room: Click here to book your hotel room at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown at the discounted SABR group rate of $189/night (plus tax). Or call (412) 391-4600 and tell them you are with the SABR Negro League Conference. The cutoff date to book your room at the SABR group rate is July 13, 2015. Click here to download the information packet to learn more about the hotel.
See below for information on the 2015 Call for Papers, Essay Contest, Art Contest, and Library Grant Program.
The 18th annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference will celebrate the rich history of black baseball in Pittsburgh. We welcome proposals for oral and poster presentations from all research fields. Previous presenters have included college faculty, public school teachers, graduate students, and independent scholars. Presentations may focus on any topic related to the theme, "Baseball's Best: the Grays and the Crawfords," or other Negro Leagues issues. Some possibilities include: Josh Gibson, Pittsburgh Crawfords, Gus Greenlee, Cum Posey, Vic Harris, Cool Papa Bell, the Crawford Grill, and many others. Click here for detailed criteria and submission guidelines. All proposals must be sent to email@example.com by April 24, 2015.
SABR's Negro Leagues Committee will award two $2,500 scholarships to high school seniors in its seventh annual essay contest in 2014-15. Students are asked to write a 1,200-word essay answering one of the following questions: "Choose one figure from the Negro Leagues and explain why you believe they are significant" or "Explain who Effa Manley was and her significance to the Negro Leagues." Click here to download the PDF application to learn more about eligibility requirements, submission criteria and style guidelines. All applications must be postmarked no later than March 23, 2015. Questions can be directed to Leslie Heaphy (firstname.lastname@example.org), Stephanie Liscio (email@example.com) Mel May (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Joshua Salvner (email@example.com). Click here to learn more about the 2014 winners, Tiffany Bowman of Troy High School in California, and Abraham Griesbauer from Troy, Missouri.
Library Grants (coming soon!)
SABR's Negro Leagues Research Committee will award two $1,000 library grants for 2014-15. School libraries from across the country are invited to submit grant proposals centering on educating students about black baseball and American history. Eligibility requirements, submission criteria and style guidelines will be available soon. Questions can be directed to Leslie Heaphy (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mark Moore (email@example.com), Tim Bottorff (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Stephen Cullis (email@example.com.) Click here to learn more about the 2014 winners, East Point Elementary School of El Paso, Texas, and the J. Garfield Jackson Academy of East Orange, New Jersey.
Art Contest (coming soon!)
Information on the sixth annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference Art Contest will be available soon. Art from the winners and runners-up will be on display in a special area at the 2015 Malloy Conference. The winning entry in the professional and amateur categories will receive a $300 prize and a certificate. The winning entry in the youth category will receive $150 and a certificate. For more information, contact Leslie Heaphy or Larry Lester. Click here to view images of the winning artwork in 2014, by Phillip Dewey, “Turkey Stearnes” (Professional category); Milbert O. Brown Jr., “Rainout” (Amateur category); and Tucker Richardson, “Jackie Robinson” (Youth category).
2014 Malloy Conference highlights:
The 17th annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference celebrated Detroit's rich baseball history with two days of research presentations and player/author panels, special presentations about local parks, including a historical marker dedication ceremony at Hamtramck Stadium, as well as a Tigers game against the Seattle Mariners.
Click here to download the 2014 conference information packet (PDF). The conference theme was "Turkey Stearnes and Black Baseball in Michigan."
Special guests included Mrs. Nettie Stearnes, the widow of Turkey Stearnes, her daughters, Rosilyn and Joyce, and their family. Former Negro League players in attendance included Walt Owens (1953-55); Ron "Schoolboy" Teasley (1945, '48); Ernie "Cokey" Nimmons (1952); Pedro Sierra (1954-58); and Mrs. Minnie Forbes (Detroit Stars owner).
Visit SABR.org/malloy/2014 for full coverage and photo galleries of the 2014 Malloy Conference in Detroit.
- 2014: Click here for highlights of the 17th annual Malloy Conference, August 14-16, 2014 in Detroit, MI
- 2013: Click here for highlights of the 16th annual Malloy Conference, June 13-15, 2013, in Newark, NJ
- 2012: Click here for highlights of the 15th annual Malloy Conference, July 19-21, 2012, in Cleveland, OH
- 2011: Click here for highlights of the 14th annual Malloy Conference, July 21-23, 2011, in Indianapolis, IN
Who was Jerry Malloy?