The 20th annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference, hosted by SABR's Negro Leagues Research Committee, will be returning to its roots on July 27-30, 2017, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, site of the first Negro League conference in 1998.
- Registration: All baseball fans are welcome to attend. Click here to register online. Early registration for SABR members is $170, which includes all presentations and sessions. Non-SABR members: $200. Students: $120 for SABR members, $150 for non-members. Single-day rate for Friday or Saturday: $75 for SABR members, $100 for non-members. The Education Forum on Thursday is $15. Guest tickets for friends and family can also be ordered. Click here for an information packet (PDF) with complete details on registration rates. The early registration deadline is May 29, 2017.
- Hotel: The 2017 Malloy Conference will be held at the Hilton Harrisburg, 1 N. 2nd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101. Click here to book your room online at the special SABR rate of $129/night (plus tax). Or call (717) 233-6000 and mention you're with the "SABR Malloy Conference." The cut-off date to book your room is July 5, 2017.
- Schedule and information: Click here for the 2017 Malloy Conference information packet (PDF).
- Contact: E-mail Ted Knorr with any questions about the conference.
The Malloy Conference promotes activities to enhance scholarly, educational, and literary objectives. For the past 19 years, the event has been the only symposium dedicated exclusively to the examination and promotion of black baseball history. The conference is open to baseball and history fans of all ages. Each year, monies are targeted to donate books to schools or libraries; raise funds for the Negro Leagues Baseball Grave Marker Project; and award scholarships to high school seniors in a nationwide essay contest and a nationwide art contest.
Click a link below to learn more about the 2017 Malloy Conference call for papers, essay contest and scholarships, art competition, and school library grants.
The SABR Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference welcomes proposals for oral and poster presentations from all research fields. Previous presenters have included college faculty, public school teachers, graduate students, and independent scholars. Presentations may focus on any topic related to the theme, "Black Baseball in Harrisburg," or other Negro Leagues issues. Some possibilities include: the 1920s Harrisburg Giants, Spottswood Poles, Rap Dixon, the 1954 Harrisburg Giants, Monrovian Club of 1867, 1903 Colored World Series, and so much more.
Please email your proposal as a Word attachment to Dr. Leslie Heaphy at Lheaphy@kent.edu before March 27, 2017.
High School Essay Contest
SABR's Negro Leagues Committee will award $1,000 scholarships to two high school seniors in its ninth annual Thomas R. Garrett Scholarship essay contest in 2017. Students must write a 1,200-word essay answering a question related to one of the Negro League figures who are the namesakes of the scholarships.
- Click here to download the Jimmie Crutchfield Memorial Scholarship application
- Click here to download the Normal "Tweed" Webb Scholarship application
- Click here to download the Andrew "Rube" Foster Scholarship application
- Click here to download the Robert Peterson Scholarship application
The deadline to apply is March 27, 2017. An additional $500 award for special recognition will be made by the Crutchfield Dermatology Foundation. The students will be recognized at the Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference on July 27-30, 2017, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Questions can be directed to Leslie Heaphy (email@example.com), AJ Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org), Michelle Freeman (email@example.com), and Philip Ross (firstname.lastname@example.org). Students can only receive one SABR scholarship. Click here to learn more about the 2016 winners.
SABR's Negro Leagues Research Committee will award two $500 Dick Clark Memorial Library Grants for 2016-17. School and community libraries from across the country are invited to submit grant proposals centering on educating students and the community about black baseball and American history. Click here to download the PDF application for eligibility requirements, submission criteria, and style guidelines. The deadline is May 8, 2017. Questions can be directed to Leslie Heaphy (email@example.com), Mark Moore (firstname.lastname@example.org), Tim Bottorff (email@example.com), or Marlene Vogelsang (firstname.lastname@example.org). Click here to learn more about the 2016 winners.
SABR's Negro Leagues Committee's will hold its eighth annual Art Contest in 2017. The theme is "Black Baseball History." For professionals and amateurs: Click here to download the PDF application for eligibility requirements, submission criteria, and style guidelines. The entry fee is $30 and the deadline for submission is May 29, 2017. For the youth contest: Click here to download the youth art contest PDF application. The entry fee is $10 (per three entries) and the deadline for submission is May 22, 2017. Make checks out to "SABR". Submit your application and images to Dr. Leslie Heaphy at Lheaphy@kent.edu or by mail at: Kent State University at Stark, 6000 Frank Rd, North Canton, OH 44720.
Art from the winners and runners-up will be on display in a special area at the 2017 Malloy Conference; photos of winning entries and runners up will also be included in an upcoming issue of McFarland Publishers’ Black Ball: A Negro Leagues Journal. The winning entries in the professional and amateur categories will receive a $250 prize. The individual student winner will receive a $150 prize and the winning schools will each receive $250 worth of age-appropriate books about Negro League baseball for their libraries. For more information, contact Leslie Heaphy or Larry Lester.
For highlights from the 2016 SABR Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference in Kansas City, click here.
Who was Jerry Malloy?
- Click here to learn more about the groundbreaking Negro Leagues historian, who was the recipient of SABR's Henry Chadwick Award in 2015
Click a link below for highlights from past Jerry Malloy Conferences:
- 2016: Kansas City, MO
- 2015: Pittsburgh, PA
- 2014: Detroit, MI
- 2013: Newark, NJ
- 2012: Cleveland, OH
- 2011: Indianapolis, IN
- 2010: Birmingham, AL
- 2009: Pittsburgh, PA
- 2008: Chicago, IL
- 2007: Portsmouth, VA
- 2006: Kansas City, MO
- 2005: Chicago, IL
- 2004: Cleveland, OH
- 2003: Harrisburg, PA
- 2002: Memphis, TN
- 2001: Kansas City, MO
- 2000: Harrisburg, PA
- 1999: Atlantic City, NJ
- 1998: Harrisburg, PA