- Save the date! The 20th annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference will be held July 27-30, 2017, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Click here to learn more.
The 19th annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference was held July 7-9, 2016 at the Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center outside Kansas City. The conference was open to all baseball, history and sports fans of all ages. Check out highlights from the 2016 Malloy Conference below.
- Schedule: Click here to view the complete Malloy Conference schedule
- Video: Watch Larry Lester's powerful talk on "Why Black Baseball History Matters" on Friday, July 8
- Video: Peter Gorton's presentation on restoring the legacy of left-handed pitcher John Donaldson (Vimeo)
- Video: Satchel Paige's family recall their famous father (Courtesy of Sherman Jenkins)
- Ryan Whirty: Recap of former Kansas City Monarch George Altman's opening session on Thursday, July 7 (Home Plate Don't Move)
- Christian Hardy: At Malloy Conference, Satchel Paige’s story parallels mythological heroes (Kansas City Star)
- Dan D'Addona: Satchel Paige's legacy still legendary after 110th birthday (Holland Sentinel)
- Steve Dunn: Purchasing a piece of Keokuk baseball history at the Malloy Conference (Daily Gate City)
- Charles Crutchfield presented with Tweed Webb Lifetime Achievement Award
- Tennessee State professor's ode to baseball father wins SABR Negro Leagues award (Nashville Post)
View photos from James Brunson III, Sherman Jenkins, and Leslie Heaphy below. Or scroll down for more information on the 2016 Essay Contest, Art Contest, and Library Grant Program.
SABR's Negro Leagues Committee awarded $1,000 scholarships to five high school seniors in its eighth annual Thomas R. Garrett Scholarship essay contest in 2016: Kevin Vernan Crosby, Jansen Rouillard, Josephine Riedell, Grace Rootes, and Grant Heindselman; click here to learn more about the winners. Students had to write a 1,000-word essay answering a question related to one of the Negro League figures who are the namesakes of the scholarships. The students will be recognized at the Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference on July 7-9, 2016, in Kansas City. The selection committee was comprised of educators Leslie Heaphy, Stephanie Liscio, Mel May, Shawn Morris, and Charles Crutchfield.
SABR's Negro Leagues Research Committee awarded a $500 Dick Clark Memorial Library Grant for 2015-16 to the Geneseo Public Library in Geneseo, Illinois. School and community libraries from across the country are invited to submit grant proposals centering on educating students and the community about black baseball and American history. Click here to download the PDF application for eligibility requirements, submission criteria, and style guidelines. Questions can be directed to Leslie Heaphy (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mark Moore (email@example.com), or Tim Bottorff (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SABR's Negro Leagues Committee's will hold its seventh annual Art Contest in 2016. The theme is "Black Baseball Life." For professionals and amateurs: Click here to download the PDF application for eligibility requirements, submission criteria, and style guidelines. The entry fee is $30 and the deadline for submission is May 9, 2016. For the youth contest: Click here to download the youth art contest PDF application. The entry fee is $10 (per three entries) and the deadline for submission is May 23, 2016. To pay for your entry fee online, click here.
Art from the winners and runners-up will be on display in a special area at the 2016 Malloy Conference; photos of winning entries and runners up will also be included in an upcoming issue of McFarland Publishers’ Black Ball: A Negro Leagues Journal. The winning entries in the professional and amateur categories will receive a $300 prize. The individual student winner will receive a $150 prize and the winning schools will each receive $250 worth of age-appropriate books about Negro League baseball for their libraries. For more information, contact Leslie Heaphy or Larry Lester.
Who was Jerry Malloy?
- Click here to learn more about the groundbreaking Negro Leagues historian, who was the recipient of SABR's Henry Chadwick Award in 2015
Click a link below for highlights from past Jerry Malloy Conferences:
- 2015: Pittsburgh, PA
- 2014: Detroit, MI
- 2013: Newark, NJ
- 2012: Cleveland, OH
- 2011: Indianapolis, IN
- 2010: Birmingham, AL
- 2009: Pittsburgh, PA
- 2008: Chicago, IL
- 2007: Portsmouth, VA
- 2006: Kansas City, MO
- 2005: Chicago, IL
- 2004: Cleveland, OH
- 2003: Harrisburg, PA
- 2002: Memphis, TN
- 2001: Kansas City, MO
- 2000: Harrisburg, PA
- 1999: Atlantic City, NJ
- 1998: Harrisburg, PA