SABR Analytics Conference
Save the date! The 2015 SABR Analytics Conference will return to the Hyatt Regency Phoenix on March 12-14, 2015. Registration and schedule information will be available beginning in Fall 2014.
SABR Analytics Conference
March 13-15, 2014
Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Couldn't make it to Arizona for the SABR Analytics Conference? Visit SABR.org/analytics for full coverage of this exciting event that brought together the top minds in the baseball analytics community in 2014. You'll feel like you were wandering through the Hyatt Regency Phoenix with stories and multimedia clips from the great panel discussions and research presentations on our schedule, photo galleries, and much more.
- During the conference, you could follow along on Twitter by searching for the hashtag #SABRanalytics or by reading tweets from our account (@SABR) and from other conference attendees.
- View our photo galleries from each day of the conference at SABR.org/analytics/photos.
Check out highlights from the 2014 conference below:
Thursday, March 13
- Watch/listen to the Medical Analysis and Injury Prevention panel with Dr. Stan Conte, Dr. Glenn Fleisig, Chris Marinak and Buster Olney (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to the Which Numbers Athletes Love, Which Numbers Athletes Hate panel with Aaron Boone, Manny Acta, Eduardo Perez, Kirk Goldsberry and John Walsh (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to Analytics From the Players' View with Brandon McCarthy, Brian Bannister and Jon Sciambi (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to Vince Gennaro's research presentation on team chemistry (video/audio)
- Diamond Dollars Case Competition winners: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business, Cornell University, Loras College
- Max Marchi wins 2014 SABR Analytics Conference Research Award for Historial Analysis/Commentary
- Check out the buzz on social media in our Storify recap of Day 1
- Check out a photo gallery from Day 1 of the SABR Analytics Conference
Friday, March 14
- Watch/listen to the Decision Making in the Front Office panel with Jack Zduriencik, Bill Geivett, Bobby Evans and Ken Rosenthal (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio's exclusive one-on-one session with Ken Rosenthal (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to the Inside the Defensive Index Panel with Sean Forman, Vince Gennaro, Kurt Hunzeker, Ben Jedlovec and Jon Sciambi (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to the Clubhouse Confidential Panel with Vince Gennaro, Rob Neyer, Dave Cameron and Ben Lindbergh (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to research presentations from Graham Goldbeck, Kevin Tenenbaum/Dave Allen, Ben Jedlovec and Jeff Zimmerman (video/audio)
- Jonah Keri wins 2014 SABR Analytics Conference Research Award for Contemporary Commentary
- Check out the buzz on social media in our Storify recap of Day 2
- Check out photos from Day 2 of the SABR Analytics Conference
Saturday, March 15
- Watch/listen to How Fans Consume Baseball in the Digital Age with Lewie Pollis, Olivia Wyatt, Jake Sotir, Hunter Gilbertson and Vince Gennaro (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to The International Baseball Landscape with Leonte Landino, Tyrone Brooks, Josh Rawitch and Rob Neyer (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to Prospect Analysis and Evaluation with Bernie Pleskoff, Jim Callis, Jonathan Mayo and Barry M. Bloom (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to Telling Stories in the Age of Sabermetrics with Emma Span, Howard Megdal, Mike Tanier and Steve Madden (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to Bloomberg Sports—Next Generation of Analytics with Daniel Cohen and Kyle Evans (video/audio)
- Watch/listen to research presentations from Bill Petti and Lewie Pollis (video/audio)
- James Santelli wins 2014 SABR Analytics Conference Research Award for Contemporary Analysis
- Check out the buzz on social media in our Storify recap of Day 3
- Check out photos from Day 3 of the SABR Analytics Conference
Around the Web
- J.P. Hoornstra: Dodgers' Stan Conte, others study injury prevention (Los Angeles Daily News)
- Matt Eddy: MLB, teams view injury prevention as the next frontier (Baseball America)
- Christina Kahrl: SABR conference explores new frontiers (ESPN.com)
- Ken Rosenthal: Mark Attanasio talks Brewers, budgets and Braun (FoxSports.com)
- Barry M. Bloom: Attanasio open to giving Ryan Braun a second chance (MLB.com)
- Christina Kahrl: Braun, GMs and fun at Day 2 of the SABR Analytics Conference (ESPN.com)
- Matt Eddy: Expanding the diagnostic, prognostic capabilities Of PITCHf/x (Baseball America)
- Video: Watch highlights from the Prospect Analysis and Evaluation panel with Barry M. Bloom, Bernie Pleskoff, Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis (MLB.com)
- Christina Kahrl: Evolution versus revolution at the SABR Analytics Conference (ESPN.com)
- Matt Eddy: Panel focuses on developing international talent (Baseball America)
- Matt Eddy: SABR Analytics notebook, tying up loose ends (Baseball America)
- Ben Lindbergh: The Big Questions from the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference (Baseball Prospectus)
- Ken Rosenthal: Stabilized pitching may allow Mariners to focus on offense (FoxSports.com)
- Alex Smith: Reflections from the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference (Batting Leadoff)
- Wayne McDonnell Jr.: Advancements in analytics and medicine must provide fruitful results for pitchers (Forbes.com)
- Read the Tulane University Law School team's case for baseball's most valuable pitcher (Beyond the Box Score)
- Max Mannis: Inside the SABR Analytics Conference (Sports Illustrated for Kids)
About the SABR Analytics Conference
SABR has a long and storied history with baseball statistical analysis, evidenced by the link between our name and sabermetrics. While SABR is a multi-faceted organization involved in virtually every aspect of baseball, we have taken a major step to re-connect with our beginnings by producing and hosting the third annual SABR Analytics Conference.
Once again, we're bringing together the top minds of the baseball analytic community under one roof to discuss, debate and share insightful ways to analyze and examine the great game of baseball.
The schedule consists of a combination of Guest Speakers, Panels and Research Presentations — plus the unique Diamond Dollars Case Competition, in which undergraduate, graduate and law school students from across the country analyze and present a real baseball operations decision.
You can also download the digital program for the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference by clicking here (PDF).
The 2014 SABR Analytics Conference was held Thursday, March 13 through Saturday, March 15 at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, 122 N. 2nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85004.
- Click here to read bios of our featured speakers, panelists and moderators.
- Click here for the full schedule of research presentations, including presenter bios and abstracts.
SABR's long history in this area of baseball research, coupled with our mission of advancing the understanding and knowledge of baseball, makes us the perfect choice to coordinate and host this ground-breaking event.