SABR Analytics Certification
Whether you are a student or professional looking to set yourself apart as you break into the ultra-competitive baseball industry, or a broadcaster, coach, scout, or fan interested in gaining a better understanding of the present state and future of the game, the SABR Analytics Certification was created with you in mind.
The SABR Analytics Certification program is an online, on-demand curriculum offering professional development and learning opportunities for those interested in elevating their skills and knowledge relating to baseball analytics. The curriculum was developed by current baseball professionals, including employees of Major League Baseball and its clubs.
Courses advance through progressively deeper dives into the world of baseball data and analytics, with virtual instruction provided by industry thought leaders and the opportunity to present your own analysis to be reviewed by esteemed professionals. Upon completion of each course, participants will earn certification recognition to illustrate their learned proficiencies and separate themselves from others.
All virtual courses were developed by current baseball professionals, including employees of Major League Baseball and its clubs. They are offered on-demand, giving participants the ability to learn at their own pace.
Student learners progressing through the full curriculum will also be more prepared to participate in work showcases and high-profile competitions, like the Diamond Dollars Case Competition.
Conversational Analytics and Critical Thinking in Baseball
An introductory exploration of baseball data and analytics, including historical eras of analytics, descriptive vs. predictive data, metrics vs. statistics, key hitting, pitching, and fielding terms and practical applications of each, and player comparisons
- Instructor: Jake Stone is the Director of Operations & Player Development at Penn State University. Jake has professional and collegiate baseball experience under his belt, working for the Baltimore Orioles and previously serving as the head student manager at the University of Iowa. In his roles, Stone demonstrated advanced knowledge of the cutting-edge player development technology that has proliferated through baseball and efficiently implemented the new systems to improve player development plans. He is also the creator of the popular website and YouTube channel Simple Sabermetrics. Follow Jake on Twitter @SimpleSaberBSB.
- Availability: Open to all interested learners via guided on-demand video
- Duration: 15 video modules, with total run time of just over two hours
- Completion: Level One course completion requires a written player analysis which will be reviewed by a Baseball Prospectus staff writer
- Cost: $125 for SABR members; $180 for non-members
- Learn more: Frequently Asked Questions
SABR MEMBER REGISTRATION:
In addition to the incredible benefits of SABR membership, SABR members receive a significant discount on Analytics Certification course registrations. SABR members can sign up for the Level One course here. Note: You must be signed into your SABR account to receive your membership discount.
While SABR members receive significant discounts on Analytics Certification courses, non-members are welcome to participate. However, we encourage you to explore the benefits of SABR membership, where you can join a passionate international community of fans, writers, broadcasters, players, and students of the game. Sign up as a SABR member today and begin receiving great benefits, and your certification course discount, immediately. If you would like to proceed with a Non-Member Registration, click here. After purchasing a Non-Member Registration, you will receive email instructions for signing in to view course video modules within one business day of purchase.
Click here to watch a video preview of Level One:
Base Level Baseball Data Science
Advanced Baseball Programming (SQL, R, Python)
Using Data Science to Create and Replicate Work