The ninth annual Frederick Ivor-Campbell 19th Century Base Ball Conference was held April 21-22, 2017, at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.
The 2017 conference was highlighted by a keynote address from baseball historian Bill Lamb, along with a panel discussion on SABR's Overlooked 19th Century Base Ball Legends Project with Adam Darowski, Michael Haupert, Joe Williams, and moderator John Thorn; a special presentation of the documentary film "Town Teams: Bigger Than Baseball" by Dorothy Seymour Mills and Mark Honer; a Member Spotlight interview of Joanne Hulbert by Tom Simon; plus book signings, research presentations, and a welcome dinner.
Here is the list of research presentations:
- Bob Bailey, “Jack Chapman: A 19th Century Baseball Life"
- Jonathan Popovich, “The Game Makers: Purveyors of Baseball Goods in the Northeast from the 1850s–1870s”
- Michael Haupert, “William Hulbert and The Birth of the Business of Professional Baseball”
- Joanne Hulbert, “Tell Me How You Really Feel”
- Chip Martin, “Pud Galvin: Baseball’s Forgotten Man”
- Bob Tholkes, “Exploring the Origins of The Baseball Umpire”
- Herm Krabbenhoft, Keith Carlson, Dave Newman, and Dixie Tourangeau, “Resolution of 1894 RBI Leader”
- Tom Shieber, “Home Games: Researching Nineteenth Century Baseball Board Games”
- George Skornickel, “Amos Rusie: The Pitcher Who Changed the Game”
- Richard Hershberger, “The Fizzled Game-Throwing Scandal of 1879”
View more photos from the 2017 conference below, courtesy of Dixie Tourangeau. (Click here to view the slideshow on mobile devices.)
- 2016: To view coverage of the 2016 Ivor-Campbell Conference, click here
- 2015: To view coverage of the 2015 Ivor-Campbell Conference, click here
- 2014: To view coverage of the 2014 Ivor-Campbell Conference, click here
- 2013: To view coverage of the 2013 Ivor-Campbell Conference, click here
- 2012: To view coverage of the 2012 Ivor-Campbell Conference, click here
- Who was Frederick Ivor-Campbell? Learn more about the 2003 Bob Davids Award winner here