June 28-July 2, 2017
Grand Hyatt New York
109 E. 42nd St.
New York, NY 10017
Phone: (212) 883-1234
We hope you'll join us for what promises to be a spectacular SABR 47 convention in the summer of 2017 in New York City. Conference and hotel registration is now available. Click here for more information on SABR 47 registration rates, all-inclusive packages, and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 47.
The annual SABR convention, which is open to all baseball fans, often includes top featured speakers from around the baseball world — front office executives, players, managers, scouts, journalists, historians, and analysts — innovative panel discussions, groundbreaking research presentations, major-league games, the SABR Trivia Contest, the Awards Reception, and most of all, the opportunity to make and renew baseball friendships over the course of this exciting and memorable event.
The Grand Hyatt New York, one of the city's most historic and luxurious hotels, is conveniently located in Midtown Manhattan just steps from Grand Central Terminal and within walking distance of many major attractions, including Times Square, the Empire State Building, and the New York Public Library.
Click on a link below for more information about SABR 47.
SABR 47 information
- Registration: Click here for complete information on SABR 47 registration rates, all-inclusive packages, and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 47! We're again offering a special all-inclusive rate for the annual SABR convention. For $319, a savings of $39 off the regular rate, SABR members can get:
— Full registration to SABR 47 in New York (regular rate: $269)
— 1 ticket in the Big Apple Reserved section to the Mets vs. Phillies game on Friday, June 30 — includes special "A Day at the Ballpark" pregame session at Citi Field and round-trip subway transportation ($50 value)
— 1 ticket to the Awards Reception on Thursday, June 29 ($69 value)
Non-members can pay $394 for the all-inclusive rate. The deadline to register with the all-inclusive rate is Monday, May 1, 2017.
- Hotel: The special SABR group rate at the Grand Hyatt New York of $199/night (plus tax) is now sold out! If you would like to be added to a first-come, first-serve waiting list in case more hotel rooms become available in the future, please contact Deb Jayne immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Awards Reception: SABR will host a special Awards Reception in the early evening on Thursday, June 29 at the Grand Hyatt New York. The Awards Reception will feature the announcement of SABR's annual awards — including the Bob Davids Award, our highest honor — plus an array of hot and cold hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar. The reception will be held this year in place of the Awards Luncheon. One ticket to the Awards Reception is included in the all-inclusive package or guest tickets are available for $69 when you register for SABR 47.
- Speakers: Click here to learn more about our featured speakers and panelists.
- Research presentations: Click here to learn more about the SABR 47 research presentations.
- Poster presentations: Click here to learn more about the SABR 47 poster presentations.
- Vendors Room: Click here to learn more about our vendors at SABR 47. If you would like to reserve a table in the Vendors Room, please contact Jeff Schatzki. Space is limited.
Featured speakers and panelists
Our convention in New York City will include top guest speakers from around the baseball world. Stay tuned for more speakers to be announced soon!
- Sandy Alderson, New York Mets General Manager
- Jean Afterman, New York Yankees Senior Vice President/Assistant GM
Alderson will be interviewed by Barry Bloom, MLB.com national columnist, as part of our "A Day at the Ballpark" pregame session on June 30 at Citi Field.
The Jim Bouton: A Life in Baseball panel will include:
- Jim Bouton, author of Ball Four and former major-league pitcher
- Paula Kurman, wife of Jim Bouton and a retired psychologist and professor
- Mark Armour, author of Jim Bouton's SABR biography and founding director of the BioProject
- Mitchell Nathanson, author of A People’s History of Baseball, God Almighty Hisself: The Life and Legacy of Dick Allen, and other books
- Moderator: John Thorn, Official Historian for Major League Baseball
The It Ain't Over: The Legacy of Yogi Berra panel will include:
- Lindsay Berra, MLB.com correspondent and the granddaughter of Yogi and Carmen Berra
- Harvey Araton, best-selling author of Driving Mr. Yogi: Yogi Berra, Ron Guidry and Baseball’s Greatest Gift and a New York Times reporter and columnist
- George Vecsey, best-selling author of Baseball: A History of America's Favorite Game and a New York Times reporter and columnist
- Moderator: Dave Kaplan, former director of the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center
In addition, the SABR 47 convention will also include these special guests:
- Keith Olbermann, a longtime SABR member, author, and award-winning sports and political commentator, who will speak at the Baseball Cards Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
- David S. Neft, a Henry Chadwick Award recipient and the driving force behind Macmillan's The Baseball Encyclopedia, who will participate in a one-on-one interview with MLB Official Historian John Thorn at the Baseball Records Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
- Peter C. Bjarkman, a Henry Chadwick Award recipient and expert on Cuban baseball history, will speak at the Latino Baseball Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
- Glenn Stout, this year's Larry Ritter Book Award winner for The Selling of the Babe, plans to accept his award at the Deadball Era Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
- Alain Usereau, French-language play-by-play broadcaster for RDS network in Canada, who will be interviewed by Chuck Hildebrandt during the Baseball and the Media Committee annual meeting at SABR 47
Please note: All speakers and events may be subject to change based on availability.
A Day at the Ballpark: Friday, June 30 at Citi Field
For the second year in a row and third time in four years, SABR will present “A Day at the Ballpark” before the New York Mets game on Friday, June 30 at Citi Field. Special thanks to the Mets for this great opportunity and for offering us a large block of tickets in the Big Apple Reserved section at an affordable price of $50.
A special ballpark session will be held at Citi Field on Friday afternoon, followed by the game that night between the Mets and the Phillies. More details on the guest speakers will be announced soon, but you can be sure we will have an All-Star lineup.
Note: Purchase of SABR 47 conference registration AND a game ticket will be required to attend this special session. A SABR 47 Mets game ticket also includes round-trip subway transportation. Click here to register for SABR 47.
Get your copy of The National Pastime convention journal
All SABR 47 attendees will receive a souvenir print edition of The National Pastime, our annual convention journal, focusing on baseball teams, players, and events in the New York City area. All SABR members, whether you attend the convention or not, will receive the expanded e-book edition of The National Pastime in their inboxes later this summer. Click here to register for SABR 47.
Pre-order your SABR 47 convention logo shirts, caps, or souvenir baseballs
- Polo shirt: $35
- T-shirt: $20
- Baseball cap: $20
(Each item will feature the SABR 47 convention logo)
Avoid the rush at registration, and pre-order your SABR 47 convention logo polo shirt, T-shirt, or baseball cap online! Deadline to pre-order: Monday, May 1, 2017. Please indicate shirt size (adult S to XXXL) when you register. Items will be available to be picked up when you arrive at the SABR convention. (Sorry, we cannot mail out any pre-ordered items after the convention.) Caps are one-size-fit-most.
To guarantee that you get a SABR 47 convention logo shirt or cap, please place your order online by May 1.
Please note: A VERY LIMITED number of SABR logo polo shirts, T-shirts, and baseball caps will also be available for purchase on-site at the SABR convention. The SABR logo items are first-come, first-serve and not available for pre-order, only the SABR 47 convention logo items.
- 2016 convention coverage: For complete coverage of SABR 46 in Miami, click here
- SABR Convention History: For a multimedia look at every SABR convention since 1971, click here