Thirty-three members and guests attended the Fall Meeting of the Pittsburgh/Forbes Field Chapter of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) on Saturday, October 27, 2012 at the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh.
Our Special Guest Speaker was Alex Richert of KDKA-FM, 93-7 The Fan Radio. Alex serves as the producer of the Pirates radio broadcasts, as well as a producer for many of The Fan's talk shows. Alex told us all about what goes into producing what we hear on the air, as well as providing us with some insights of not only the Pirates' broadcasters, but of some The Fan's other on-air personalities.
Member presentations included:
- Larry DiNino on the history of the involvement of US Presidents with the game of baseball with an emphasis on Presidential First Pitches. Very appropriate during an Election Year.
- Craig Britcher and Emelia Boehm on Hall of Famer James "Pud" Galvin.
- George Skornickel on Racial Integration of Baseball in Pittsburgh.
- Joe Guzzardi on the 1952 Topps Baseball Card set.
- Fifteen top-notch World Series Trivia questions from Jim Haller.
As always, the Pittsburgh Chapter is extremely grateful to the Senator John Heinz History Center for allowing us to use their facilities for our meetings. I doubt that any SABR Chapter holds their meetings in a more appropriate setting.