Rocky Mountain Chapter meeting recap - 5/18/2013
Rocky Mountain (RM) SABR "2013 Spring Chapter Meeting”, May 18th, 2013.
Breckenridge Brewery, 22nd and Blake Streets, Denver, Colorado.
There were 24 RM SABR members and guests in attendance. Chapter Meeting was opened at 11:00 a.m. by Matthew Repplinger, President.
President Repplinger introduced Paul Parker who provided general announcements of:
• June monthly luncheon, 79th consecutive, is scheduled for June 19th, 2013, 12:00 noon, at the Icehouse Tavern LODO, 1801 Wynkoop Street, Denver, CO.
• SAVE THIS DATE - NOVEMBER 15TH, 2013.
THE 16th ANNUAL RM SABR BANQUET will take place Friday, November 15, 2013, at the Denver Athletic Club, 1325 Glenarm Pl., Denver, CO 80204.
Being it’s the Colorado Rockies 20th Anniversary we’re planning on having Bryn Smith an original Rockies player as a speaker for our annual unique event! He signed as a free agent and was a non-roster invitee to the first camp. He is famous for being the first winning pitcher in Colorado Rockies history, and the “Hello My Name Is” name tags, along with other career baseball achievements.
Please reserve this date and join us for this annual RMSABR event!
Stay tuned for any and all updates!
• RM SABR Game of the Month June 1st 2013.
Don’t forget to get your GOTM tickets!! Don’t wait until the last minute!
When: Saturday, June 1st 2:10 pm, LA Dodgers.
Location: Coors Field, 20th and Blake, Denver CO.
Cost: Per ticket for the game is a group discounted price of $20.00. And part of the discounted ticket cost benefits RM SABR.
Ticket Orders: Mail a check in the amount of $20.00 for each ticket, payable to RMSABR. Indicate the number of tickets desired and the date of the game. Tickets ordered will be available for pick-up at the Rockies Will Call windows.
Point of Contact: Paul Parker
Mail Ticket requests to:
5803 Orchard Creek Lane
Boulder, CO 80301
• SABR 43: Have you registered for SABR 43 yet? SABR 43rd annual convention will be held July 31-August 4, 2013, at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, 1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, just blocks from City Hall, Independence Hall and many other Philadelphia landmarks.
• Mr. Mark Razum, Head Groundskeeper Colorado Rockies, Coors Field was the keynote speaker and was introduced by Mr. Paul Parker at 11:30 a.m. after general announcements. Mark gave a career briefing indicating his career path which began in Cleveland in 1978, prior to joining the Oakland franchise, preparing the A’s spring training complex for seven seasons, and then as the head groundskeeper for the Oakland Coliseum for a six year period. After the completion of the 1994 season Mark joined the Rockies and began preparation for the 1995 opening season of Coors Field. He gave an overview of the MLB mandatory field measurements as well as those allowed as variable measurements. Additional talk revolved around the Coors Field Batters Eye, the original sod farm, Gebhard’s Geysers, and the Colorado native plants currently growing in the area of the bull pens and ponds. Additional discussion revolved around simple green grass in the outfield which has become a thing of the past. Intricate patterns and designs that only a few years ago was just for special occasions such as All-Star games and the World Series and their challenges.
— John Paul