SABR 44 will be held July 30-August 3, 2014, at the Royal Sonesta Houston, in the heart of the Galleria, just minutes from downtown and Minute Maid Park.
We hope you'll join us for what promises to be a spectacular SABR 44 convention in the summer of 2014.
- Hotel: Click here to book your room at the Royal Sonesta online. The deadline to book your room at the SABR group rate of $129/night (plus tax) is Monday, July 14, 2014. The Royal Sonesta is at 2222 W Loop S Fwy., Houston, TX 77027. If you have any questions about your reservation, please call the hotel at (713) 627-7600.
- Conference registration: Click here for complete information on SABR 44 registration rates. Once again, we're offering an all-inclusive rate for the annual SABR convention. SABR members can pay $234 for an all-inclusive package with a Field Box ticket to the Astros game (and access to the special SABR 44 ballpark panels) on Saturday evening or $214 for an all-inclusive package with a Mezzanine Level ticket — each package is a savings of $30 off the regular rate. Non-members can pay $299 (Field Box) or $279 (Mezzanine Level) for the all-inclusive rate. Please note: The all-inclusive package expires on Monday, June 9. Regular registration will be available online and on-site through the convention.
Members of the host Larry Dierker Chapter have compiled a list of transportation tips to help visitors and convention attendees enjoy their stay in the Bayou City. If you have any questions during your stay, please don't hesitate to ask a friendly SABR 44 volunteer for assistance (they'll be in the bright orange shirts throughout the convention!)
For more information on Houston's award-winning restaurants, upcoming events and other attractions, visit visithoustontexas.com/sabr44.
Directions to the hotel
The Royal Sonesta is located in the heart of the Galleria, west of downtown, between Houston's two major airports.
From George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
Distance: 28 MI / 45.06 KM north to Hotel
SuperShuttle Charge (one way): $27.00. (See below for SABR 44 SuperShuttle discount.)
Take Beltway 8 West to Interstate 45 South. Exit 610 West and continue on to 610 South. Exit San Felipe. Go through the light and the Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston will be on the right side of the street.
From William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
Distance: 16 MI / 25.75 KM southeast to the hotel
SuperShuttle Charge (one way): $24.00. (See below for SABR 44 SuperShuttle discount.)
Take Interstate 45 North to 610 Loop West, continuing to 610 Loop North. Exit at San Felipe. U-turn at the light and the hotel is located between San Felipe and Westheimer Road.
Station Name: AmTrak Houston - Downtown
Distance: 9.0 MI / 14.48 KM southeast to Hotel
Head south on West Loop S and take the ramp onto I-610 N. Take exit 11 and merge onto I-10 E toward Downtown. Take exit 769A for Smith St. Turn right at Franklins St. Turn right at Elder St. and right onto Washington Ave.
SABR 44 SuperShuttle discount
SABR 44 convention attendees can get $2.00 off one-way and $4.00 off roundtrip SuperShuttle share rides if you book online.
- To book online: Go to www.supershuttle.com and enter the discount code TYRP9.
Discount is valid when booked online only. Gratuity not included. Note: $2.00 booking fee will apply to reservations that are booked by a SuperShuttle agent. Discount is only valid between July 28–August 5, 2014.
Accessible vans available. Please check the box next to the symbol when making reservations online or request from representative.
Directions upon airport arrival: 1. Claim your luggage. 2. Proceed outside Baggage Claim at each terminal to sign marked “SHUTTLE SERVICE” to locate the shuttle counter. 3. A SuperShuttle Guest Service Representative will arrange SuperShuttle service to your destination. Identify yourself to the SuperShuttle agent and provide them with your online confirmation number.
Parking at or near the hotel
The Royal Sonesta offers valet parking and self parking for hotel guests:
- Valet Parking: $27 overnight, $16 full day and short term
- Self Parking: $16 overnight & full day, $8 short term
Getting around Houston
The Royal Sonesta offers a complimentary shuttle in a 3-mile radius to all SABR 44 convention guests. Please see the concierge to schedule your trip.
- Liberty/Lone Star Cab: (713) 444-4444 or houstontransportationservices.com
- United Cab: (713) 699-0000 or unitedcab.com
- Yellow Cab: (713) 236-1111 or houstonyellowcab.com
Light rail: There is no METRO Light Rail station within walking distance of the Royal Sonesta hotel. The 7.5-mile Main Street line runs from south of Reliant Park to the University of Houston-Downtown, with 16 total stops along the way. Along the Main and Fannin Streets route, you can stop at Reliant Park, the Texas Medical Center and Rice University, Hermann Park and the Museum District, Midtown, and Downtown. Trains are scheduled to arrive at the stations every 12 minutes. For more information, click here.
Bus: For more information on the METRO bus line, visit ridemetro.org. (If you are planning a trip on the METRO using ridemetro.org, you should select the Royal Sonesta's former name, the Intercontinental Hotel.)
The nearby Museum District is the country’s fourth largest — with 18 cultural powerhouses within a few minutes of the Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston. Located just southwest of downtown, in a pedestrian-friendly tree-lined neighborhood, more than 8.7 million visitors explore the cultural institutions that make up this culture-filled district each year. Our Houston hotel near the Museum District offers guests a prime location with easy access to all of the museums, 11 of which are free to guests at all times.
Museums in Houston include:
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum
- Health Museum
- the new Children’s Museum of Houston
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
- Holocaust Museum Houston
- Museum of Fine Arts Houston
- The Weather Museum
- Houston Zoo
- Rothko Chapel
For more information, click here: http://www.visithoustontexas.com/sabr44/
For more information on SABR 44, visit SABR.org/convention.