Announcing finalists for 2014 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards
We're pleased to announce the finalists for the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards, which will recognize baseball researchers who have completed the best work of original analysis or commentary during the preceding calendar year.
Nominations were solicited by representatives from SABR, Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, The Hardball Times, and Beyond the Box Score. Here are the finalists for the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards:
- Russell Carleton, "Dating the Impulse to Protect Pitchers," Baseball Prospectus, December 2, 2013.
- Frank Jackson, "Papa Hemingway vs. Fireman Casey," The Hardball Times, January 31, 2013.
- Barry Krissoff, "Society and Baseball Face Rising Income Inequality," Baseball Research Journal, SABR, Spring 2013.
- Max Marchi, "Catcher Framing Before PITCHf/x," Baseball Prospectus, May 16, 2013.
- Alex Remington, "Why Aren't There More Muslims in Baseball?" FanGraphs, August 8, 2013.
Contemporary Baseball Commentary
- Chris Jones, "When 772 Pitches Isn't Enough," ESPN The Magazine, July 22, 2013.
- Jonah Keri, "Grand Theft Baseball," Grantland.com, March 20, 2013.
- Ben Lindbergh, "The Rays' Changeup Revolution," Baseball Prospectus, June 26, 2013.
- Jon Roegele, "The Strike Zone in the PITCHf/x Era," The Hardball Times Annual 2014, November 2013.
- Wendy Thurm, "Dodgers Could Be Last Team to Strike Gold With Local TV Deals," FanGraphs, July 26, 2013.
Contemporary Baseball Analysis
- Andrew Ball, "2013 MLB Draft: How Valuable Are Draft Picks?" Beyond the Box Score, June 25, 2013.
- Dave Cameron, "The Myth of the Passive Hitter," FanGraphs, May 16, 2013.
- J.J. Cooper, "Just How Tough Is It To Throw Out Billy Hamilton?" Baseball America, September 19, 2013.
- Adam Kilgore, Sohail Al-Jamea, Wilson Andrews, Bonnie Berkowitz, Todd Lindeman, Jonathan Newton, "A Swing of Beauty," WashingtonPost.com, May 14, 2013.
- James Santelli, "Pirates Defensive Shifts: The Hidden Secret Behind Baseball's Best Team," Pirates Prospects, July 4, 2013.
Details and criteria for each category can be found here. Only one work per author was considered as a finalist.
Voting for the winners will be conducted online beginning next week at SABR.org, BaseballProspectus.com, FanGraphs.com, HardballTimes.com, and BeyondtheBoxScore.com, with results weighted equally at 20%.
Results will be announced and presented at the third annual SABR Analytics Conference, March 13-15, 2014, at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona. Learn more or register for the conference at SABR.org/analytics.
This page was last updated January 19, 2017 at 2:07 pm MST.