Kahrl Confirmed as Seymour Medal Conference Keynote Speaker
The Society for American Baseball Research will hold its eleventh annual Seymour Medal Conference on May 13-14, 2011, at the Radisson Hotel, Gateway in downtown Cleveland. The Seymour Medal honors the best book of baseball history or biography published during the previous year.
The Seymour Medal Conference begins with a reception and public reading by the Medal winner on Friday evening, followed by the opportunity to watch the Cleveland Indians take on the visiting Seattle Mariners at Progressive Field. Saturday consists of a full day of research presentations, the keynote address, the presentation of the Medal and a second ballgame.
Christina Kahrl is a co-founder of Baseball Prospectus and currently an editor for BaseballProspectus.com, where she has written the "Transaction Analysis" column since 1996. Kahrl has also written for ESPN.com, SportsIllustrated.com, Salon.com, The New York Sun and many other publications. She is a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
Conference registration is $29. You can register quickly and easily at the SABR store. Tickets for the optional Indians-Mariners games on Friday and Saturday are $18.
We have reserved a block of rooms at the Radisson Gateway hotel. Room rate is $105/night plus tax. Reservations can be made by calling 1-800-333-3333, and asking for the Radisson Hotel Cleveland Gateway and the Seymour Conference block (Be sure to mention the Seymour Conference in order to get the group rate.)
To book your room online:
- Go to The Radisson Cleveland Gateway website.
- Select the “Reservations” tab at the top.
- Type in “Cleveland, OH” as your city, the conference dates (May 13-14) and “SABR” in the promotional code area.
- Book your reservation.
Seymour Conference schedule (subject to change)
Friday, May 13
- 5-6:30 p.m.: Public reading by Seymour Medal winner followed by reception at the Baseball Heritage Museum (530 Euclid Avenue, located in the historic Colonial Arcade)
- 7:05 p.m.: Optional baseball game at Progressive Field, Indians vs. Mariners
Saturday, May 14
- 9 a.m.-12:15 p.m. and 1:30-3:45 p.m.: Research presentations
- 4 p.m.: Keynote address — Christina Kahrl, Baseball Prospectus
- 5 p.m.: Seymour Medal presentation, with a word from Dorothy Seymour Mills
- 7 p.m.: Optional baseball game at Progressive Field, Indians vs. Mariners
To see a list of previous Seymour Medal winners, click here.
To be considered for the medal, a work must be the product of original research or analysis. The winning book shall significantly advance our knowledge of baseball and shall be characterized by understanding, factual accuracy, profound insight and distinguished writing
This page was last updated May 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm MST.