Dipoto, Hazen, Byrnes to speak at 2017 SABR Analytics Conference
We are pleased to announce more featured speakers and panelists at the sixth annual SABR Analytics Conference in Phoenix, Arizona.
The SABR Analytics Conference will be held Thursday, March 9 to Saturday, March 11, 2017, at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix. The conference is open to all baseball fans, and early registration is now available online. Click here to register!
- Jerry Dipoto is entering his second season as Executive Vice President/General Manager of the Seattle Mariners. In his first four months on the job, he made more than 50 major-league transactions and has overhauled the team's roster, scouting, and player development departments. Previously, he was a Special Assistant for the Boston Red Sox in 2015 and the general manager of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim from 2011 to 2015, helping guide the club to the AL West title in 2014. He was also Vice President of Scouting and Player Development with the Arizona Diamondbacks. He spent parts of eight seasons (1993-2000) as a pitcher with the Cleveland Indians, New York Mets, and Colorado Rockies before moving into the front office in 2001.
- Mike Hazen joined the Arizona Diamondbacks as Executive Vice President/General Manager in October 2016 after 11 seasons working with the Boston Red Sox, during which time they won two World Series championships. He was most recently the Red Sox's Senior VP/General Manager in 2016 following four years as the club's Assistant GM. Prior to joining the Red Sox, he spent five seasons with the Cleveland Indians, working in scouting and player development. He played baseball at Princeton University and graduated in 1998.
- Eric Byrnes became an analyst for MLB Network after an 11-year career as an outfielder for the Oakland Athletics, Colorado Rockies, Baltimore Orioles, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Seattle Mariners. He was a key member of the Diamondbacks' 2007 NL West championship team, hitting 21 home runs, scoring 103 runs, and stealing 50 bases. As a member of the A's, he batted .462 in the 2003 AL Division Series against the Red Sox. He has also been a contributor on ESPN, MLB on FOX, Fox Sports Arizona, “The Best Damn Sports Show Period,” “MLB Home Plate” on SiriusXM, and KNBR in San Francisco.
- Mike Ferrin is entering his second season on the Diamondbacks radio broadcast team, as the pre- and postgame show host and secondary play-by-play announcer on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM and the Arizona Diamondbacks Radio Network. Since 2007, he has worked as a nationally renowned broadcaster on SiriusXM MLB Network Radio as the host of “Power Alley” and the on-site host in the MLB postseason and Winter Meetings. Previously, he was the play-by-play announcer for the Double-A Bowie Baysox and a sports producer and reporter for WGN Radio in Chicago.
- Jordan Muraskin, Ph.D. has worked in the brain imaging field for 10 years. He is co-inventor on the Intellectual Property at the base of deCervo. An expert in electroencephalography (EEG) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), he holds multiple patents in brain imaging and has extensive experimental and analytic experience. He has an appointment as a Research Scientist at the Nathan Kline Institute and holds a B.S. and Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering from Columbia University.
They will join ESPN analyst Jessica Mendoza, MLB Network host Brian Kenny, FanGraphs writer Eno Sarris, and SABR President Vince Gennaro among the featured speakers and panelists at the 2017 SABR Analytics Conference. Click here to learn more about our speakers.
In its first five years, the SABR Analytics Conference has brought together many of the top minds of the baseball analytic community under one roof to discuss, debate, and share insightful ways to analyze and examine the great game of baseball. Stay tuned as we announce more featured speakers and panelists at the 2017 SABR Analytics Conference! Please note: All speakers are subject to change depending on availability.
For more information, visit SABR.org/analytics.
This page was last updated January 6, 2017 at 12:11 pm MST.