Join Us For "Casey Stengel's Baseball" on April 14 in New York
CASEY STENGEL'S BASEBALL
6:30 p.m., Thursday, April 14
Museum of the City of New York
1220 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10029
(212) 534-1672 or www.mcny.org
In its longstanding relationship with baseball, New York City has been home to four Major League teams: the Yankees, Giants, Dodgers, and Mets. But only one man wore all four uniforms: Casey Stengel. Dubbed by sportswriters "The Professor" for his expansive knowledge of all things baseball and named "The Greatest Character of the Game" by the MLB Network, Stengel was one of the sport's most prominent fixtures. Still, his career was not without controversy, most notably when the Mets finished last in their league for all four years he managed the team.
Join us on Thursday, April 14, for an intimate look at the career and legacy of this icon of America's pastime. The event features:
- MARTY APPEL, a SABR member, former public relations director and television producer for the New York Yankees, and author of Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain (Doubleday, 2009)
- DAN FOST, SABR member, journalist, and author of Giants Past & Present (MVP Books, 2010)
- STEVEN GOLDMAN, SABR member and author of Forging Genius: The Making of Casey Stengel (Potomac Books, 2006)
- JIM KAPLAN, SABR member and co-author of The Gospel According to Casey with Ira Berkow (St. Martin’s Press, 1992) and The Greatest Game Ever Pitched (Triumph Books, 2011)
- TONI MOLLETT, Casey Stengel's grand-niece and founder of the Casey Stengel Baseball Center
- STEVE STEINBERG, baseball historian and co-author with fellow SABR member Lyle Spatz of 1921: The Yankees, the Giants, and the Battle for Baseball Supremacy in New York (University of Nebraska Press, 2010)
A book signing is to follow.
Tickets are $12 for Museum nonmembers, $8 for seniors and students, $6 for Museum members; reservations required. (A $2 surcharge applies for walk-ups.) To reserve, please call (917) 492-3395 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
SABR members: $6 discount tickets are available if you mention the SABR Casey Stengel Chapter when you register.
The event is co-sponsored by the Boston Braves Historical Association, the Casey Stengel Baseball Center, SABR's Casey Stengel Chapter and the Connecticut Smoky Joe Wood Chapter, the New York Giants Baseball Club, the New York Giants (Baseball) Nostalgia Society, the Westchester Baseball Group and the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center.
This page was last updated April 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm MST.