We’re excited to announce two of our featured panels for the SABR 46 convention this summer in Miami, Florida.
SABR 46 will be held July 27-31, 2016, at the Hyatt Regency Miami. Discounted early registration rates are available now at SABR.org/convention. All baseball fans are welcome to attend.
Our convention in South Florida will feature a distinct Latin flavor, with panels on Latin-American baseball history and covering baseball for Spanish-speaking audiences.
Our Perspectivas del Béisbol: Covering Baseball for Hispanic Fans On ESPN Deportes panel is expected to include these special guests:
- Ozzie Guillen, the outspoken former major-league shortstop and manager who led the Chicago White Sox to the 2005 World Series championship
- Ernesto Jerez, an Emmy Award-winning play-by-play announcer for ESPN Deportes’ “Sunday Night Baseball” since 1995
- Enrique Rojas, an ESPN Deportes reporter who has covered MLB and the winter leagues for more than 20 years
- Moderator: Leonte Landino, the chairman of SABR’s Luis Castro/Latin America Chapter who produces all baseball properties on ESPN Deportes and writes for ESPNDeportes.com
We’ll also have a special Latino Baseball Authors Panel, which will feature the following SABR members and historians:
- César Brioso, a digital producer for USA Today and the author of Havana Hardball: Spring Training, Jackie Robinson, and the Cuban League
- Peter C. Bjarkman, who is considered to be one of the foremost authorities on Cuban baseball history; he is the author of Cuba’s Baseball Defectors: The Inside Story and A History of Cuban Baseball, 1864-2006
- Adrian Burgos Jr., a professor of history at the University of Illinois and the author of Cuban Star: How One Negro League Owner Changed the Face of Baseball and Playing America’s Game: Baseball, Latinos, and the Color Line
- Moderator: Anthony Salazar, chairman of SABR’s Latino Baseball Research Committee and editor of its newsletter, La Prensa del Béisbol Latino
More details and the complete schedule will be announced in the coming months. Find more information on SABR 46 at SABR.org/convention.
Originally published: March 23, 2016. Last Updated: April 16, 2020.