The SABR Bookshelf: Summer 2012
Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes listings of new books that are received at the SABR office. This feature is called The SABR Bookshelf, continuing a popular section from the old SABR Bulletin.
Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Summer 2012:
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Society for American Baseball Research, 4455 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. D-140, Phoenix, AZ 85018.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
All new SABR Bookshelf listings can be purchased at the SABR Bookstore, powered by Amazon.com.
Click the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- Baseball's Starry Night: Reliving Major League Baseball's 2011 Wild Card Night of Shock and Awe, by Paul Kocak
- 'The Deacon's' Daughter, by Carol McKechnie Montgomery with Jerry Hanks
- Legal Decisions that Shaped Modern Baseball, by Patrick K. Thornton
- Packaging Baseball: How Marketing Embellishes the Cultural Experience, by Mathew J. Bartkowiak and Yuya Kiuchi
- Addie Joss on Baseball, edited by Rich Blevins
- Ty Cobb: Two Biographies, by H.G. Salsinger, edited by William R. Cobb
- John Tortes "Chief" Meyers: A Baseball Biography, by William A. Young
- Steve Carlton and the 1972 Phillies, by Bruce Morgan
- Base Ball Pioneers 1850-1879: The Clubs and Players Who Spread the Sport Nationwide, edited by Peter Morris, Bill Ryczek, Jan Finkel, Len Levin and Richard Malatzky
- Buck Ewing: A Baseball Biography, by Roy Kerr
- Of Monarchs and Black Barons: Essays on Baseball's Negro Leagues, by James A. Riley
- Baseball State by State: Major and Negro League Players, Ballparks, Museums and Historical Sites, by Chris Jensen
- Bluegrass Baseball: A Year in the Minor League Life, by Katya Cengel
- The Glory Years of the Detroit Tigers: 1920-1950, by William M. Anderson
- "If You Were Only White": The Life of Leroy "Satchel" Paige, by Donald Spivey
- Dick Siebert: A Life In Baseball, by Joel Rippel
- Diamonds and Diplomas: How to Get Recruited to Play College Baseball, by Bill Ballew
- Ron Santo: A Perfect 10, by Pat Hughes and Rich Wolfe
- Baseball's Rare Triple Crown, by Michael Francis Mann
- Knuckleball: The Uncertainties of (a) life, by Ken Beckley
- My Baseball Journey: A Broadcaster's Memoir, by Bill Brown and Tim Gregg
- World Series Winners: What it Takes to Claim Baseball's Ultimate Prize, by Ross Bernstein
- They Call Me Oil Can, by Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd with Mike Shalin
- Harmon Killebrew: Ultimate Slugger, by Steve Aschburner
- Connie Mack: Grand Old Man of Baseball, by Frederick G. Lieb
- You Stink! Terrible Teams & Pathetic Players, by Eric J. Wittenberg and Michael Aubrecht
- The Man in the Crowd: A Fan's Notes on Four Generations of New York Baseball, by Stanley Cohen
- Season of '42: Joe D, Teddy Ballgame, and Baseball's First Fight to Survive a Turbulent First Year of War, by Jack Cavanaugh
- Nine Aces and a Joker: Defining Seasons from British Baseball's Standout Pitchers, by Joe Gray
- The Hall of Nearly Great, edited by Jason Wojciechowski & Marc Normandin
To see all past listings from the SABR Bookshelf, click here.
This page was last updated August 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm MST.