The SABR Bookshelf: Winter 2013
Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes listings of new books that are received at the SABR office. This feature is called The SABR Bookshelf, continuing a popular section from the old SABR Bulletin.
Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Winter 2013:
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Society for American Baseball Research, 4455 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. D-140, Phoenix, AZ 85018.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
All new SABR Bookshelf listings can be purchased at the SABR Bookstore, powered by Amazon.com. In addition, check out new books published by SABR at SABR.org/ebooks (most of which are free for SABR members.)
Special thanks to Ryan Hill for assistance in compiling the listings.
Click the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- Becoming Big League: Seattle, The Pilots and Stadium Politics, by Bill Mullins
- Shibe Park-Connie Mack Stadium: Images of Sports, by Rich Westcott
- The American League in Transition, 1965-1975, by Paul Hensler
- Ebbets Field: Essays and Memories of Brooklyn's Historic Ballpark, 1913-1960, edited by John G. Zinn and Paul Zinn
- Season of Ghosts: The '86 Mets and the Red Sox, by Howard Burman
- The Expos in Their Prime: The Short-Lived Glory of Montreal's Team, 1977-1984, by Alain Usereau
- The Science of the Fastball, by William Blewett
- The Cooperstown Symposium on Baseball and American Culture, 2011-2012, edited by William M. Simons
- Color Blind: The Forgotten Team That Broke Baseball's Color Line, by Tom Dunkel
- Lefty: An American Odyssey, by Vernona Gomez and Lawrence Goldstone
- The Happiest Recap, First Base: 1962-1973, by Greg W. Prince
- Auditioning for Cooperstown: Rating Baseball's Stars for the Hall of Fame, by Andre Lower
- Historical Dictionary of Baseball, by Lyle Spatz
- Memories of a Ballplayer: Bill Werber and Baseball in the 1930s, by Bill Werber and C. Paul Rogers III
- Batting, by F.C. Lane
- The Farmers' Game: Baseball in Rural America, by David Vaught
- Detroit Tigers 1984: What A Start! What A Finish!, edited by Mark Pattison and David Raglin
- Miracle on Grass, by David Fanucchi
- Bat, Ball & Bible: Baseball and Sunday Observance in New York, by Charles DeMotte
- After Many A Summer: The Passing of the Giants and Dodgers and a Golden Age in New York Baseball , by Robert E. Murphy
- One Last Strike: Fifty Years in Baseball, Ten and a Half Games Back, and One Final Championship Season, by Tony La Russa and Rick Hummel
This page was last updated February 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm MST.