Watch: Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners to be unveiled on ESPN on October 29
The 2013 Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners will be unveiled during a one-hour, ESPN2 “Baseball Tonight” primetime special on Tuesday, October 29 beginning at 8pm ET/7pm CT.
The 2013 season marks the first season Rawlings formally incorporates sabermetrics as a component of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award® and Rawlings Platinum Glove Award™ selection process.
- Related link: View the Rawlings Gold Glove Award finalists at each position, announced Friday, October 25
In August, Rawlings and SABR revealed the committee of seven sabermetric experts and the SABR Defensive Index™ (SDI™) that the committee created. The SABR Defensive Committee includes:
- Committee chair Vince Gennaro, SABR President and author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball
- Sean Forman, founder of Baseball-Reference.com
- John Dewan, owner of Baseball Info Solutions
- Bo Moon, executive vice president and co-founder of Bloomberg Sports
- Chris Dial, author and recognized expert on defensive metrics
- Michael Humphreys, author of Wizardry: Baseball’s All-Time Greatest Fielders Revealed
- F.X. Flinn, SABR board of directors
The SABR Defensive Index draws on and aggregates two types of existing defensive metrics: those derived from batted ball, location-based data and those collected from play-by-play accounts. The three metrics representing batted ball data include Defensive Runs Saved from Baseball Info Solutions, Ultimate Zone Rating developed by noted sabermetrician Mitchel Lichtman, and Runs Effectively Defended built by SABR Defensive Committee member Chris Dial. The two metrics included in the SDI originating from play-by-play data are Defensive Regression Analysis, created by committee member Michael Humphreys, and Total Zone Rating.
The SDI will be instrumental in comparing players across positions to help determine the updated Rawlings Platinum Glove Award, now presented by SABR. Fans will continue to have a voice during this process, and will be able to vote online once the newest class of Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners is announced during the telecast.
This page was last updated October 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm MST.