Baseball in the Peach State
Working to Play, Playing to Work: The Northwest Georgia Textile League
Floyd County, Georgia, in the northwest corner of the state, once supported eight different textile mills, each with a baseball team composed of mill workers. These teams became the formally organized Northwest Georgia Textile League and flourished between the 1930s and 1950s, providing Floyd County with three decades of industrialized community recreation that has not been rivaled since.
The Georgia Peach: Stumped by the Storyteller
An investigation into the August 8, 1905, shooting of Ty Cobb's father by his mother reveals the incredible truth about artifacts from the baseball great's life.
That Was Quick!
The average time required to play a major-league baseball game continues to hover just under three hours; the average game in 2009 took two hours and 55.4 minutes. On one Saturday afternoon in 1910 at Ponce de Leon Park, the Atlanta Crackers and Mobile Sea Gulls demonstrated how quickly a baseball game can be played.
- Memories of a Minor-League Traveler
- Red Moore: He Could Pick It!
- The 1954 Dixie Series
- The Empire State League: South Georgia Baseball in 1913
- The Atlanta Black Crackers
- The Card in the Baseball Cap: “Braves Win! Braves Win! Braves Win! Braves Win! Braves Win!”
- Marvelous Murphy: Too Good to Ignore
- The Franchise Transfer That Fostered a Broadcasting Revolution
- Milo’s Memories: When the Braves Came to Atlanta
- The Red Clay of Waycross: Minor-League Spring Training in Georgia with the Milwaukee Braves
- Ty Cobb as Seen through the Eyes of a Batboy
- Ty Cobb, Actor
- Three Georgia-Born Former Dodgers Lead the Crackers to a Pennant
- Risqué Business
- Shootout at Hardscrabble Church
- Joe Reliford: The Inning of a Lifetime
- Memphis Bill in Newnan
- Who’s Going to Pitch?
- Help in High Places
- Frank Anderson: The Dean of Southern College Baseball Coaches, 1916–1944
- Ms. Eliza Gets a Seat
- Remembering Skip
- The All-Time Atlanta Braves All-Star Team
- Braves Alphabet
- Spring Training in Georgia: The Yannigans Are Coming!
- All-Time Georgia-Born All-Star Team
- Editor's note: Baseball in the Peach State
Download the PDF
SABR members, you can now download The National Pastime to your computer or e-reader!
Click the cover image or link below to download the PDF file (4.8 MB) of the 2010 The National Pastime: Baseball in the Peach State, No. 30. (Sorry, Kindle and EPUB versions not yet available.)
Download the 2010 The National Pastime here: https://sabr.box.com/shared/static/mbs57plzpy76jzeskzkvfftlxpfj1y9v.pdf