The Magnolia / Georgia Chapter serves the Atlanta, Georgia, area.
Regular chapter meetings
- The Magnolia Chapter holds two general membership meetings each year. The Hot Stove League meeting is held in early February, while the "Play Ball" meeting is held in late April or early May. These meetings include member research presentations and appearances by special guests. Past special guests have included former Braves announcer and Braves HOFer Pete Van Wieren, former pitcher Bob Hendley and the late Furman Bisher.
- The Chapter also has a Fall Banquet, usually in early November, where members have a chance to listen to guest speakers and share a meal with other local SABR members. Past speakers at the fall banquet have included Paul Snyder, Ron Blomberg (the first designated hitter), the Toronto Blue Jays' first manager Roy Hartsfield, and authors Lee Lowenfish, Tim Wendel, Tim Gay, among others.
- The chapter also participates in SABR Day, which is usually held in January. SABR Day is designed to be the one day of the year when every SABR chapter and members have a chance celebrate SABR and welcome new members into the fold.
- The chapter holds a couple of informal get-togethers each month as well. "Third Thursdays at Manuels" is held on (obviously) the third Thursday of each month at Hudson Grille, 6317 Roswell Road in Sandy Springs, Georgia. Members start gathering around 6:45 p.m. and generally stay until 9:30 - 10:00 or so. There are no formal presentations; just a chance to discuss/argue baseball with fellow members. Also, the chapter holds a "Fourth Wednesdays" get-together at Matthews Cafeteria, 2299 Main St. in downtown Tucker, GA. This get-together usually starts around 6pm and may include brief presentations of some type along with plenty of baseball chat.
- Members also have the opportunity to attend minor league games with other local members and an occasional game at Turner Field, as well as other special events such as the Rickwood Classic in Birmingham in May, the Southern Association Conference, and the Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony each June.
Announcements: To sign up for email announcements from this chapter and receive instant notification of upcoming SABR events in your area, click here to select from the list of chapters, then click "Join Group" () at the top of the chapter page. All SABR members are eligible to sign up for announcements from any chapter.
Want to learn more? See the Magnolia Chapter website.
SABR chapter meetings are open to all baseball fans. For details on the next chapter meeting, visit SABR.org/events.