2014 SABR Analytics Panel: Inside the SABR Defensive Index
We are pleased to introduce the Inside the SABR Defensive Index Panel at the third annual SABR Analytics Conference, March 13-15, 2014 at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona.
This panel, which is scheduled for 1:45 p.m. on Friday, March 14, will discuss developments with the SABR Defensive Index, which beginning in 2013 is used to help select the winners of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award and Rawlings Platinum Glove Award, presented by SABR.
Here are the expected speakers for the SABR Defensive Index Panel:
- John Dewan, Owner, Baseball Info Solutions: John is the owner of Baseball Info Solutions, which collects, analyzes and disseminates the most in-depth data in the industry with more than a dozen Major League Baseball teams as clients. He is also the co-publisher of ACTA Sports, a division of ACTA Publications, which publishes books on statistical baseball analysis, including the annual Bill James Handbook and other sports titles. John’s three-volume set of The Fielding Bible books break new ground in an area that has been the least analyzed in baseball: defense. His Plus/Minus System and Defensive Runs Saved are a direct application of actuarial and sabermetric techniques. Before founding BIS, John was President and CEO of STATS, Inc., following a highly successful career as an insurance actuary.
- Sean Forman, President, Sports Reference, LLC: Sean is the President of Sports Reference, LLC, which includes Baseball-Reference.com, the game’s premier statistical website which launched in 2000. Over the past decade, Sean has built and engineered what has become the go-to site to look up statistics for any baseball player or team, and he was a recipient of SABR's Henry Chadwick Award in 2011 to honor baseball's greatest researchers. He was also a co-founder of BaseballThinkFactory.org and has authored numerous sabermetric articles. Sean has a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematical and Computational Sciences from the University of Iowa, and was a tenured math and computer science professor at Saint Joseph’s University before resigning in 2006 to focus full-time on the Sports Reference websites, which have grown to include pro and college football, pro and college basketball, ice hockey and the Olympics.
- Vince Gennaro, President, SABR: Vince is the President of SABR and author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball. He is a consultant to MLB teams, appears regularly on MLB Network, and he teaches in the graduate programs at Columbia University and Manhattanville College. He is also the architect of the Diamond Dollars Case Competition series, which brings together students and MLB team and league executives and serves as unique learning experience, as well as a networking opportunity for aspiring sports executives.
- Kurt Hunzeker, Senior Director of Brand Marketing, Rawlings: Kurt has more than 15 years of experience on both sides of the sports sponsorship equation and in a wide array of sports marketing positions. In his current role as the lead brand marketer at Rawlings Sporting Goods, he manages the progressive global growth for the 127-year-old brand, connecting it with next-level athletes worldwide. In 2011, Kurt launched the Rawlings Platinum Glove Award (now presented by SABR) to include baseball fans in the Rawlings Gold Glove Award platform, as they help select the best defender in each League. Last year, he spearheaded the addition of the SABR Defensive Index into the Rawlings Gold Glove Award process, to resounding success and accolades across the industry. Most recently, the University of Missouri School of Journalism graduate negotiated and signed the deal with Baseball Australia, designating Rawlings as the official baseball, batting helmet and catchers’ protective gear of the national governing body.
- Moderator: Jon “Boog” Sciambi, Announcer, ESPN: Jon joined ESPN full time in 2010 as play-by-play voice for MLB on ESPN Radio, while continuing the same role for college basketball and MLB on ESPN, which he has done since 2005. Sciambi contributed to ESPN Radio’s World Series coverage as on-site studio host and provided post-game, on-field interviews for ESPN’s "SportsCenter." Previously, Jon was the lead play-by-play announcer for the Atlanta Braves on Fox Sports South and SportSouth from 2007-09, and host for 790 The Ticket in South Florida, and as voice of the Florida Marlins on WQAM from 1997-2004.
Please note: All speakers are subject to change due to availability.
For more information or to register for the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference, visit SABR.org/analytics.
This page was last updated February 25, 2014 at 6:11 pm MST.