2013 SABR Convention: SABR 43 in Philadelphia
Couldn't make it to Philadelphia for SABR 43? Check out complete coverage of our 43rd annual convention in the City of Brotherly Love!
The Society for American Baseball Research held its 43rd annual convention on July 31-August 4, 2013, at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, just blocks from City Hall, Independence Hall, the Reading Terminal Market and many other Philadelphia landmarks.
Video and audio clips are now available online. Click on a link below to watch/listen.
For more coverage of SABR 43, click on a link below:
Wednesday, July 31
- SABR's The National Pastime now available in expanded e-edition
- View photos from the Historical Philadelphia Walking Tour and the Ross Adell Welcome Reception
Thursday, August 1
- Watch/listen to Phillies CEO David Montgomery's opening remarks (audio/video)
- Watch/listen to the Phillies Player Panel with Brad Lidge, Gary "Sarge" Matthews and Dickie Noles (audio/video)
- Watch/listen to the Women in Baseball Panel with Robin Wallace, Perry Barber, Kristin Mills Caldwell, Susan Ingersoll Papaneri and Sarah Ferguson (audio/video)
- Listen to Vince Gennaro's President's Report from the SABR 43 Annual Business Meeting (audio)
- Listen to select research presentations from Thursday, August 1 (audio)
- Chicago chosen as 2015 SABR convention site
- The Sporting News donates two special resource collections to SABR
- Ross Barnes selected as Overlooked 19th Century Baseball Legend for 2013
- Brad Lidge joins Gary "Sarge" Matthews, Dickie Noles on SABR 43 Player Panel (MLB.com)
- Colin Wyers: Phillies president speaks to SABR (Baseball Prospectus)
- Spencer Fordin: David Montgomery nostalgic in talking Phillies, baseball (MLB.com)
- Barry M. Bloom: Montgomery, Phillies out to restart winning cycle (MLB.com)
- Justin Klugh: Montgomery talks sabermetrics, acquisitions and advice he got in the bathroom (Philly.com)
- View photos from Day 2 of the SABR 43 convention here
- Check out the buzz on Twitter from Day 2 at #SABR43 (Storify)
Friday, August 2
- Dick Beverage selected as winner of 2013 Bob Davids Award, SABR's highest honor
- Watch/listen to SABR 43 keynote speaker Larry Bowa open up about his four decades in baseball (audio/video)
- Watch/listen to the Baseball Scouting Panel with Ian Levin (Mets), Tom Tippett (Red Sox) and Roland Hemond (Diamondbacks) (audio/video)
- Watch/listen to the Imagining Baseball Panel with John Thorn, Eric Rolfe Greenberg, Steve Wulf and Dr. Mark Cooper (audio/video)
- Watch/listen to the 50th Anniversary of Eight Men Out Panel with Patricia Anderson Bill Lamb and David Fletcher (audio/video)
- Watch/listen to the Philadelphia Baseball History Panel with Jerry Casway, Richard Hershberger, Norman Macht, Rich Westcott and David Jordan (audio/video)
- Listen to select research presentations from Friday, August 2 (audio)
- Larry Bowa talks shop as keynote speaker at SABR Awards Luncheon (MLB.com)
- SABR panel delves deep into Philadelphia baseball history (MLB.com)
- View photos from Day 3 of the SABR 43 convention here
- Check out the buzz on Twitter from Day 3 at #SABR43 (Storify)
Saturday, August 3
- Watch/listen to the SABR 43 Media Panel with Jayson Stark, Paul Hagen, Leonte Landino, Donald Hunt and Alan Schwarz (audio/video)
- Watch/listen to the SABR 43 Statistical Analysis Panel with Brian Kenny, Vince Gennaro, Bill Petti, Dick Cramer and Steve Mann (audio/video)
- Listen to select research presentations from Saturday, August 3 (audio)
- Mike Caragliano sets SABR Trivia Contest record with 4th individual championship
- SABR 43 panel discusses changing media landscape (MLB.com)
- Cecilia Tan: Reports from Saturday's SABR 43 research presentations (Why I Like Baseball)
- Vince Gennaro, Brendan Bingham win 2013 research presentation awards
- View photos from Day 4 of the SABR 43 convention here
- Check out the buzz on Twitter from Day 4 at #SABR43 (Storify)
Around the Web
- Zack Seward: This week, Philly is the capital of baseball's stat-loving geeks (WHYY)
- Chris Jaffe: 10 things I didn't know before SABR 43 (The Hardball Times)
- Aaron Gleeman: 2013 SABR convention recap (AaronGleeman.com)
- 11-year-old Max Mannis: Inside the SABR 43 convention (SI For Kids)
- Longtime Phillies fan Thomas Kearney III takes in SABR convention in his hometown (Philly.com)
- Dan Schlossberg: SABR's clout continues to impact game (USA Today)
- Justin Klugh: SABR and the end of baseball's snarkiest era (Philly.com)
- Stephen Silver: Statheads and old-timers agree: The Phillies are toast (Philly Mag)
- Ron Kaplan: Dispatches from the SABR conference (Ron Kaplan's Baseball Bookshelf)
- Jeff Polman: On SABR, strikers and deep research (Huffington Post)
- Video: Phillies Nation checks in from SABR 43 (Phillies Nation)
- Bill McCurdy: SABR 43 trip was Phillie-Phine (The Pecan Park Eagle)
The featured speakers at SABR 43 included David Montgomery, General Partner, President and CEO of the Philadelphia Phillies; and Larry Bowa, a player, manager, coach and analyst in baseball for more than 40 years.
Film producer Aviva Kempner also hosted an exclusive screening of film extras from her award-winning documentary The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg.
In addition, we had several exciting panel discussions, including:
- an innovative Statistical Analysis Panel with SABR President Vince Gennaro, Bill Petti of FanGraphs, sabermetrics pioneer Dick Cramer and fantasy baseball expert Steve Mann — and special guest moderator Brian Kenny
- a Women in Baseball Panel with Phillies executive Susan Ingersoll Papaneri, U.S. National Women's Baseball Team members Robin Wallace and Kristin Mills Caldwell, All-American Girls Professional Baseball League alumnus Sarah Ferguson and pro umpire Perry Barber
- the colorful “Imagining Baseball” Panel with MLB Official Historian John Thorn, authors Steve Wulf and Eric Rolfe Greenberg, and memorabilia collector Dr. Mark Cooper
- a Media Panel with Jayson Stark of ESPN, 2013 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Paul Hagen, Alan Schwarz of the New York Times, longtime Philadelphia sportswriter Donald Hunt and ESPN Deportes' Leonte Landino
- a Philadelphia Baseball History Panel with award-winning authors Norman Macht, Jerry Casway, Richard Hershberger, Rich Westcott and David Jordan
- a Player Panel with former Phillies greats Brad Lidge, Gary "Sarge" Matthews and Dickie Noles, moderated by longtime Philadelphia PA announcer Dan Baker.
- a panel commemorating the 50th anniversary of Eight Men Out with Patricia Anderson (the niece and surrogate daughter of Buck Weaver), Dr. David Fletcher, Bill Lamb and Jacob Pomrenke
There were 32 groundbreaking presentations of baseball research — including a study of integration in independent baseball decades before Jackie Robinson's debut; untold stories of Bill Veeck's promotional genius; the exciting possibilities of motion-capture technology in baseball analytics; using Big Data to examine pitcher vs. batter performance; and the Great Rube Waddell Straw Hat Mystery of 1905.
We also had a special tour of historic Philadelphia ballpark sites, a vintage 1860s-style base ball game, and a special video presentation by ESPN's Steve Wulf on Phillies great Johnny Callison. The Awards Luncheon on Friday included keynote speaker Larry Bowa, Kevin Kane's "Breaking the Line with the Mudville Nine," and the presentation of SABR's highest honor, the Bob Davids Award. As always, there was the highly competitive and entertaining SABR Trivia Contest finals on Saturday night.
- Events Calendar: For more information on SABR conferences throughout the year, visit SABR.org/events.
- 2012 convention: For complete coverage of SABR 42 in Minneapolis, including stories, photo galleries, and video/audio clips, click here
- Convention history: For a multimedia look at every SABR convention since 1971, click here