Henry Chadwick Award: Marc Okkonen
Marc Okkonen (1933-2019): Much of what we know about the history of baseball uniforms we owe to Marc Okkonen. A public relations consultant, freelance artist and writer professionally, Okkonen exhaustively cataloged major league uniforms dating back to 1900, research he turned into a ground breaking book, Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century: The Official Major League Baseball Guide. Okkonen also produced a series of books titled Baseball Memories using a distinctive collection of photographs and illustrations to capture various decades in the twentieth century. Additionally, Okkonen authored the first book on the Federal League, an achievement and resource that stands the test of time with a matchless collection of photographs, ballpark information and drawings, and front office and roster information. Okkonen also created the invaluable 2,000 Cups of Coffee, containing images of players whose major league careers lasted for 10 or fewer games during the 1900-1949 era. By following his curiosity and pursuing his passion, Marc Okkonen left baseball researchers with a singular legacy.
- Read Daniel R. Levitt's profile of Okkonen in the Spring 2014 Baseball Research Journal
- Search the Baseball Hall of Fame's "Dressed to the Nines" online database of baseball uniforms
- Buy your copy of Marc Okkonen's The Federal League of 1914-15: Baseball's Third Major League at Amazon.com
- SABR members, download Marc Okkonen's 2,000 Cups of Coffee on SABR's Research Resources page
- In Memoriam: Marc Okkonen, 1933-2019