SABR Analytics Conference
Presented by MLB and KinaTrax
March 8-10, 2019
Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Join us for the eighth annual SABR Analytics Conference, presented by MLB and KinaTrax, on Friday, March 8 to Sunday, March 10, 2019, at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, where we'll bring together the top minds in the baseball analytics community to discuss, debate and share insightful ways to analyze and examine the great game of baseball. All baseball fans are welcome to attend. Register today to join us!
SABR's long and storied history with baseball statistical analysis, evidenced by the link between our name and sabermetrics, coupled with our mission of advancing the understanding and knowledge of baseball, makes us the perfect choice to coordinate and host this ground-breaking event. Click here to view the full schedule for the 2019 SABR Analytics Conference.
The Analytics Conference schedule consists of a combination of Guest Speakers, Panels, and Research Presentations — plus the unique Diamond Dollars Case Competition, in which undergraduate, graduate and law school students from across the country analyze and present a real baseball operations decision.
Our All-Star lineup of speakers is expected to include:
- Jason Benetti, Chicago White Sox and ESPN television play-by-play announcer
- Steve Berthiaume, Arizona Diamondbacks television play-by-play announcer
- Kyle Boddy, founder and owner of Driveline Baseball
- Dr. Steven Cadavid, president and owner of KinaTrax
- Greg Cain, Vice President of Baseball Data for Major League Baseball
- Seth Daniels, Director of Sales and Marketing for Rapsodo
- John Dewan, owner of Baseball Info Solutions
- Mike Ferrin, Arizona Diamondbacks and SiriusXM MLB Network Radio broadcaster
- Emilee Fragapane, Baseball Operations Coordinator with the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Vince Gennaro, SABR President, author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball , and host of Behind the Numbers: Baseball SABR Style on SiriusXM
- Ben Jedlovec, Director of Engineering, Data Quality, for Major League Baseball
- Rob Neyer, author of Power Ball: Anatomy of a Modern Baseball Game and host of the new weekly podcast, SABRcast with Rob Neyer
- Carlos Peña, MLB Network analyst and an All-Star first baseman for 14 seasons in the major leagues
- Eduardo Perez, ESPN baseball analyst and former major-league player for 13 seasons
- Travis Petersen, Senior Data Scientist at Major League Baseball
- Mike Petriello, Stats Analyst for Major League Baseball
- Dr. Lee Picariello, owner and operator of Mindful Athlete Training
- Scott Radinsky, longtime pitching/bullpen coach and former major-league pitcher for 11 seasons
- Joe Rosales, Vice President of Research and Development for Baseball Info Solutions
- Eno Sarris, staff writer for The Athletic
- Cory Schwartz, Vice President of Data Operations for Major League Baseball
- Julian Volyn, Co-Founder and Chief of Product for TrinityVR
- Daren Willman, Director of Baseball Research and Development for Major League Baseball
- More to be announced soon!
Click here to learn more about our SABR Analytics Conference speakers.
Programming will begin early Friday afternoon on March 8 and will run through Sunday afternoon on March 10. Click here for highlights of the high-quality content from the 2018 conference. A large block of rooms for SABR Analytics Conference attendees is available on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.
In addition, the Diamond Dollars Case Competition will start at 6:00 p.m. on Friday evening and the networking reception will be held on Saturday evening, March 9 at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix. Lunch, which is included in your conference registration, will be served at noon on Friday — before the regular programming begins — and also on Saturday between the morning and afternoon sessions.
- Registration: Click here to register for the 2019 SABR Analytics Conference. See below for more details.
- Hotel: Click here to book your room at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix at the special SABR rate of $229/night (plus tax). Please note: Rooms are also available under the SABR group block for the nights of Wednesday, March 6; Thursday, March 7; and Sunday, March 10. If you are visiting Arizona for spring training, please contact Deb Jayne to check on availability.
- Schedule: Click here for a detailed schedule.
- Speakers: Click here for a list of featured speakers.
- Research presentations: Click here to learn more about the research presentations.
- Diamond Dollars Case Competition: Learn more or apply now to participate in the 2019 Diamond Dollars Case Competition.
- Yoseloff Scholarship: Click here to learn more about the Yoseloff Scholarship to attend the 2019 SABR Analytics Conference.
- Research Awards: Click here to learn more about the 2019 SABR Analytics Conference Research Award finalists.
- Networking Reception: Click here to sign up for the 2019 SABR Analytics Networking Reception with Baseball Industry Network.
- Sponsors: Click here to learn more about our sponsors.
For more information on the 2019 SABR Analytics Conference, click on a link below.
Registration for the 2019 SABR Analytics Conference is available now at the SABR Store. Click here to register today! The conference is open to all baseball fans.
— SABR members: $595.
— Non-SABR members: $695.
— Students: $350; includes one-year membership to SABR. Must be a currently enrolled high school or college student. Please e-mail Deb Jayne with a photocopy of your student ID to receive the registration promo code.
Please note: Lunch is included with your registration on Friday, March 8 and Saturday, March 9. The networking reception is included with your registration on Saturday, March 9. Specify any special dietary needs when you register. Registration is nonrefundable after the early-bird period ends.
The 2019 SABR Analytics Conference will be held Friday, March 8 through Sunday, March 10 at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, 122 N. 2nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85004. Click here to book your hotel room at the special SABR group rate of $229/night (plus tax) for single occupancy or $249/night for double occupancy. Or call (602) 252-1234 and mention that you're with the SABR Analytics Conference.
Complimentary wireless Internet is available in all rooms booked under the SABR block. The cutoff date to book your room is February 15, 2019. The SABR group rate is only available for the nights of March 8 to March 10, 2019, based on availability.
SABR and Baseball Info Solutions are pleased to announce the research presentations for the eighth annual SABR Analytics Conference. Click here to learn more about the research presentations and presenter bios.
For complete details and criteria on submitting an abstract, click here.
The SABR Analytics Conference is pleased to host the unique Diamond Dollars Case Competition on Friday evening, March 8, 2019, at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix. Click here for more details.
In the Diamond Dollars Case Competition, undergraduate, graduate and professional school students from colleges and universities across the country compete against each other by preparing an analysis and presentation of a baseball operations decision — the type of decision a team’s GM and his staff is faced with over the course of a season. The cases are developed by SABR President Vince Gennaro, author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball and consultant to MLB teams. The Diamond Dollars Case Competition is the first national competition to be based solely on baseball operations issues.
Four- to five-person student teams are asked to evaluate a baseball operations case problem. The student team presents their analysis and recommendations to a panel of judges that includes MLB front office executives. More than 70 alumni from the Diamond Dollars Case Competitions have secured internships or permanent positions within the baseball industry.
With generous funding from The Anthony A. Yoseloff Foundation, Inc., SABR will award up to four scholarships to high school and college students who wish to attend the 2019 SABR Analytics Conference. This scholarship will pay for registration, air transportation and lodging up to a total value of $1,250.
The objective of this scholarship fund is to encourage student engagement with baseball analytics, and to engender an active interest in baseball research and SABR. The Yoseloff scholarship is to assist young researchers who want to attend SABR's Analytics Conference and to introduce them to fellow SABR members and professionals within the baseball community. Through this fund, SABR hopes to inspire future baseball research, expose students to high-quality research and build the research capability of interested students.
The 2019 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards recognize baseball researchers who have completed the best work of original analysis or commentary during the preceding calendar year. Click here to learn more about the 2019 SABR Analytics Conference Research Award finalists.
Voting for the winners was conducted online in February 2019 at SABR.org, BaseballProspectus.com, FanGraphs.com, HardballTimes.com and BeyondtheBoxScore.com, with results weighted equally at 20%. Results will be announced and presented at the eighth annual SABR Analytics Conference, March 8-10, 2018, at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix in Arizona.
- 2018: For coverage of the 2018 SABR Analytics Conference, click here
- 2017: For coverage of the 2017 SABR Analytics Conference, click here
- 2016: For coverage of the 2016 SABR Analytics Conference, click here
- 2015: For coverage of the 2015 SABR Analytics Conference, click here
- 2014: For coverage of the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference, click here
- 2013: For coverage of the 2013 SABR Analytics Conference, click here
- 2012: For coverage of the inaugural SABR Analytics Conference, click here