June 26-30, 2019
Manchester Grand Hyatt
1 Market Place
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: (619) 232-1234
We hope you'll join us for what promises to be a spectacular SABR 49 convention this summer in San Diego. Conference and hotel registration is now available. Click here for more information on the SABR 49 All-Inclusive Package, Early-Bird Registration, Single-Day Registration, and optional sessions. Click here to register for SABR 49.
Reminder: The deadline for Early-Bird Registration and the All-Inclusive Package has been extended until Monday, May 20. Sign up today to join us!
The annual SABR convention, which is open to all baseball fans, includes top featured speakers from around the baseball world — front office executives, players, managers, scouts, journalists, historians, and analysts — innovative panel discussions, groundbreaking research presentations, ballgames, the SABR Trivia Contest, the Awards Luncheon, and most of all, the opportunity to make and renew baseball friendships over the course of this exciting and memorable event.
The Manchester Grand Hyatt is conveniently located within walking distance from Petco Park; our host hotel, a frequent host of baseball's Winter Meetings, features a spectacular waterfront resort-like setting with shopping, dining, and entertainment venues in abundance at the nearby Gaslamp Quarter. The San Diego Central Library's Sullivan Family Baseball Research Center, just a few blocks away, is home to the spectacular SABR Collection curated by our host chapter, the San Diego Ted Williams Chapter.
Our special SABR 49 convention logo, by acclaimed designer and longtime SABR member Todd Radom, invokes the historic Mission-style architecture found throughout the San Diego area and celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Padres as a major-league team. Anyone who registers for the SABR 49 all-inclusive package will receive an exclusive lapel pin with the SABR 49 convention logo.
Click on a link below for more information about SABR 49.
SABR 49 information
- Registration: Click here for complete information on the SABR 49 All-Inclusive Package, Early-Bird Registration, Single-Day Registration, and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 49! We're again offering a special All-Inclusive Package for the annual SABR convention. For the $369 all-inclusive rate, SABR members can get:
— Full registration to SABR 49 in San Diego (early-bird: $289; regular rate: $319)
— 1 ticket in the Upper Infield Reserved (1B) section to the Padres vs. Cardinals game on Friday, June 28 at Petco Park ($24 value)
— 1 ticket to the Awards Luncheon on Friday, June 28 ($70 value)
— 1 exclusive SABR 49 convention logo lapel pin
— 2 complimentary Continental breakfasts on Thursday and Friday mornings*
*The Continental breakfast benefit is only available when you register for the All-Inclusive Package.
Non-members can pay $399 for the All-Inclusive Package; the deadline to register is Monday, May 20, 2019.
Single-day registration is also available online or on-site for the days of Thursday, June 27 to Saturday, June 29. Click here for more information.
- Hotel: The special SABR group rate at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego of $224/night (single rate) or $254/night (double rate) is only available to registered convention attendees. After you register for the SABR 49 convention, you will receive an e-mail confirmation with details on how to book your hotel room at the SABR group rate. If you do not receive your confirmation email after registering, please contact Deb Jayne at email@example.com. There are a limited number of rooms in our group block, so be sure to register for SABR 49 early!
- Awards Luncheon: SABR will host a special Awards Luncheon on Friday, June 28 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego. The Awards Luncheon, which includes a meal, will feature the announcement of SABR's annual awards — including the Bob Davids Award, our highest honor. One ticket to the Awards Luncheon is included in the all-inclusive package or guest tickets are available for $70 when you register for SABR 49.
- Schedule: Click here to view the full daily schedule at SABR 49.
- Speakers: Click here to learn more about our featured speakers and panelists at SABR 49.
- Research presentations: Click here to view the research presentations to be delivered at SABR 49.
- Poster presentations: Click here to view the full list of poster presentations on display at SABR 49.
- Committee meetings: Click here to view the research committee meeting schedule at SABR 49.
- Vendors Room: Click here to learn more about our vendors at SABR 49.
- Transportation Tips: Click here to learn how to get around town and area attractions during your visit to San Diego.
SABR 49 Welcoming Remarks
- Josh Stein, San Diego Padres Assistant General Manager
Padres Player Panel
- Randy Jones, 1976 National League Cy Young Award winner, charter member of Padres Hall of Fame, and owner of Randy Jones BBQ at Petco Park
- Carlos Hernández, who played 11 seasons in the major leagues and was a key contributor on the Padres' 1998 World Series team; now a Spanish-language color analyst on Fox Deportes
- Mark Sweeney, who played 14 seasons in the major leagues as a outfielder, first baseman, and pinch-hitter extraordinaire from 1995 to 2008; now a TV analyst on Fox Sports San Diego
- Moderator: Rob Neyer, award-winning author and host of the weekly baseball podcast, SABRcast with Rob Neyer
1984 San Diego Padres Panel
- Kurt Bevacqua, San Diego Padres infielder and 1984 World Series hero
- Ron Rapoport, sports columnist and author
- Ballard Smith, President of the San Diego Padres from 1979 to 1987
- Bill Center, San Diego Union-Tribune sports columnist
- Moderator: Bob Chandler, San Diego Padres broadcaster, 1970-2003
MLB Umpires Panel
- Gerry Davis, MLB umpire since 1984, crew chief for three World Series, who has called more postseason games than any umpire in baseball history
- Greg Gibson, MLB umpire since 1999, who called the 2011 World Series, and was behind the plate for Randy Johnson’s 2004 perfect game and Clayton Kershaw’s 2014 no-hitter
- Mike Port, Major League Baseball's Vice President of Umpiring from 2005 to 2011
- Moderator: Fred Rodgers, SABR Ted Williams Chapter
The Baseball Encyclopedia 50th Anniversary Panel
- Sean Forman, founder of Baseball-Reference.com and president of Sports Reference, LLC
- David S. Neft, the driving force behind The Baseball Encyclopedia in 1969
- David W. Smith, president and founder of Retrosheet.org
- Moderator: John Thorn, Major League Baseball's Official Historian
Women in Baseball Panel
- Perry Barber, professional baseball umpire for more than 30 years and 2018 recipient of SABR's Dorothy Seymour Mills Lifetime Achievement Award
- Jewel Greenberg, producer of Girls of Summer: Big Diamond Dreams, a documentary film about the girls and women who play baseball throughout the world
- Justine Siegal, founder of Baseball For All and the first female coach in Major League Baseball
- Janet Marie Smith, Senior Vice President of Planning and Development for the Los Angeles Dodgers, who oversaw construction and renovations to Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Fenway Park, Turner Field, and Dodger Stadium
- Moderator: Jean Ardell, author of Breaking into Baseball: Women and the National Pastime and co-author with Ila Borders of Making My Pitch: A Woman’s Baseball Odyssey
Increasing Diversity in Youth Participation
- Del Matthews, Vice President of Baseball Development at Major League Baseball
Early California Baseball History Panel
- Carlos Bauer, a prolific baseball historian whose specialities include early California baseball and the minor leagues
- Angus Macfarlane, a San Francisco-based "baseball treasure hunter" who focuses on baseball's pre-history in the Bay Area
- Moderator: Bill Swank, author of numerous books and articles on San Diego baseball history
Special film screening of Moe Berg documentary
The film will be screened on the evening of Thursday, June 27 during SABR 49 in San Diego. The event will be open to all SABR convention attendees. More details will be announced soon.
In this first ever feature-length documentary about the enigmatic Berg, Kempner focuses her camera on a little-known Jewish hero. Learn more about the film or to view a trailer, visit spybehindhomeplate.org.
Get your copy of The National Pastime convention journal
All SABR 49 attendees will receive a souvenir print edition of The National Pastime, our annual convention journal, focusing on baseball teams, players, and events in the San Diego and Mexicali area. All SABR members, whether you attend the convention or not, will receive the e-book edition of The National Pastime in their inboxes later this summer. Click here to register for SABR 49.
Stay tuned for our upcoming book commemorating the Padres' 50th anniversary
The SABR Digital Library is publishing a special book this spring to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the San Diego Padres' inaugural season in the National League in 1969. The book will include biographies of notable players, executives, and other figures in franchise history from the past half-century — including Hall of Famers Tony Gwynn, Dave Winfield, and Trevor Hoffman, owners Ray and Joan Kroc, GM/manager "Trader" Jack McKeon, and broadcaster Jerry Coleman — as well as game accounts of memorable moments from the 1984 and 1998 pennant-winning seasons, the team's move from Jack Murphy Stadium and Petco Park, and a special foreword from pitcher, barbeque chef, and Cy Young Award winner Randy Jones.
Visit SABR.org/ebooks for a list of all SABR Digital Library titles. SABR members can download all of our e-books for free and get a 50% discount off the paperback editions.
Pre-order your SABR 49 convention logo shirts and caps
- Polo shirt (navy blue): $35
- T-shirt (gray): $20
- Baseball cap (navy blue): $30
(Each item will feature the SABR 49 convention logo)
Avoid the rush at registration and pre-order your SABR 49 convention logo polo shirt, T-shirt, or baseball cap online! Deadline to pre-order: Monday, May 20, 2019. Please indicate shirt size (adult S to XXXL) when you register. Items will be available to be picked up when you arrive at the SABR convention. (Sorry, we cannot mail out any pre-ordered items after the convention.) Caps are one-size-fit-most.
To guarantee that you get a SABR 49 convention logo shirt or cap, please place your order online by Monday, May 20.
To purchase apparel and other items with SABR's regular logo at any time, visit our online merch store at Cafepress.
- 2018 convention coverage: For complete coverage of SABR 48 in Pittsburgh, click here
- SABR Convention History: For a multimedia look at every SABR convention since 1971, click here