June 20-24, 2018
Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh
600 Commonwealth Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Phone: (412) 391-4600
We hope you'll join us for what promises to be a spectacular SABR 48 convention in ths summer of 2018 in Pittsburgh. Conference and hotel registration is now available. Click here for more information on SABR 48 registration rates and optional sessions. Or click here to register for SABR 48.
The annual SABR convention, which is open to all baseball fans, includes top featured speakers from around the baseball world — front office executives, players, managers, scouts, journalists, historians, and analysts — innovative panel discussions, groundbreaking research presentations, major and minor league games, tours of historic ballparks, the SABR Trivia Contest, the Awards Luncheon, and most of all, the opportunity to make and renew baseball friendships over the course of this exciting and memorable event.
The Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh is conveniently located within walking distance from PNC Park and a light rail station, many downtown cultural amenities, and right across the street from the picturesque 36-acre Point State Park where the three rivers converge.
Click on a link below for more information about SABR 48.
SABR 48 information
- Registration: Click here for complete information on SABR 48 registration rates. Or click here to register for SABR 48! Full conference and single-day registration is now available online. The regular registration rate is $279 for SABR members or $354 for non-members. Please note: The early-bird discount and all-inclusive package are no longer available.
- Hotel: Please note: Our special SABR room block of $149/night (plus tax) at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh is now sold out! To find other hotels nearby, visit visitpittsburgh.com/hotels-resorts for more information. The Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh is located at 600 Commonwealth Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15222.
- Awards Luncheon: SABR will host a special Awards Luncheon on Friday, June 22 at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh. The Awards Luncheon, which includes a full meal, will feature the announcement of SABR's annual awards — including the Bob Davids Award, our highest honor. One ticket to the Awards Luncheon is included in the all-inclusive package or guest tickets are available for $60 when you register for SABR 48.
- Schedule: Click here to find the detailed day-by-day schedule for SABR 48.
- Speakers: Click here to learn more about our featured speakers and panelists.
- Research presentations: Click here for the full list of research presentations.
- Poster presentations: Click here for abstracts and presenter bios for the SABR 48 poster presentations.
- Committee meetings: Click here for the schedule of research committee meetings at SABR 48.
- Transportation tips: Click here for suggestions on how to get around Pittsburgh and area attractions at SABR 48.
- Vendors Room: Click here to learn more about our vendors at SABR 48. If you would like to reserve a table in the Vendors Room, please contact Jeff Schatzki. Space is limited.
- Attendance list: SABR members, visit members.sabr.org to download a list of registered attendees at SABR 48.
Here are some of our featured speakers and panelists for SABR 48 in Pittsburgh:
- Frank Coonelly, President of the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Neal Huntington, Executive Vice President/General Manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Dan Fox, Senior Director of Baseball Informatics of the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Joe Block, Pittsburgh Pirates play-by-play announcer
- Greg Brown, Pittsburgh Pirates play-by-play announcer
- Steve Blass, Pittsburgh Pirates color commentator and former major-league pitcher
- Lanny Frattare, former Pittsburgh Pirates play-by-play announcer
- Dick Groat, 1960 NL MVP and World Series champion with the Pirates
- Lee Lowenfish, author of Branch Rickey: Baseball's Ferocious Gentleman
- John Candelaria, former major-league pitcher and 1979 World Series champion
- Grant Jackson, former major-league pitcher and 1979 World Series champion
- Dick Bosman, former major-league pitcher
- Tom Shieber, Hall of Fame senior curator and Henry Chadwick Award recipient
- Bob Webb, Pittsburgh Pirates official scorer
- Evan Pattak, Pittsburgh Pirates official scorer
- Thomas E. Kennedy, former project executive, Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County
- Duane Rieder, Executive Director and Curator of the Roberto Clemente Museum
- Danny Torres, LatinoSports.com and LaVidaBaseball.com writer
- Adrian Burgos Jr., Editor-in-Chief of La Vida Baseball and author of Playing America’s Game: Baseball, Latinos, and the Color Line
- Curt Smith, author and baseball broadcasting historian
- Chris Lamb, author of Conspiracy of Silence: Sportswriters and the Campaign to End Segregated Baseball
- Larry Lester, chair of SABR's Negro Leagues Research Committee
- Pamela E. Walck, Duquesne University media professor
- David K. Wiggins, author of More than a Game: A History of the African American Experience in Sport
Please note: All speakers are subject to change depending on availability.
A Day at the Ballpark: Friday, June 22 at PNC Park
For the third year in a row and fourth time in five years, SABR will present “A Day at the Ballpark” before the Pittsburgh Pirates game on Friday, June 22 at PNC Park. Special thanks to the Pirates for this great opportunity and for offering us a large block of tickets in the Corner Box (LF) section at an affordable price of $40 ($45 for non-members).
A special ballpark session will be held at PNC Park on Friday afternoon, followed by the game that night between the Pirates and the Diamondbacks. Our guest speakers are expected to include Pirates Executive VP/General Manager Neal Huntington, Senior Director of Baseball Informatics Dan Fox, broadcaster Joe Block, former project executive with Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County Thomas E. Kennedy, and more. Click here to register for SABR 48.
Bring a guest or spouse with the SABR 48 Ballpark Session pass: SABR members who wish to bring a guest or spouse to the ballpark session only on Friday, June 22 at PNC Park can purchase a SABR 48 Ballpark Session pass on-site during the convention for the low cost of $25, plus a Pirates game ticket. You must have both a convention badge and your Pirates game ticket in order to enter the ballpark early. Contact Deb Jayne at email@example.com for more details.
RSVP for special Roberto Clemente Museum visit: Wednesday, June 20
The Roberto Clemente Museum in Pittsburgh has a special offer for SABR 48 attendees: The museum will host four tours (maximum of 20 people per tour) at $20 per person on Wednesday, June 20. Reservations will be made on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please call the museum at (412) 621-1268, Ext. 2, to reserve your space. No reservations can be made online; payment is due on-site when you arrive for the tour.
The tours last about 1.5 hours and the start times on Wednesday, June 20 are as follows (subject to availability):
- 10:00 a.m. (SOLD OUT!)
- 12:15 p.m. (SOLD OUT!)
- 2:30 p.m. (SOLD OUT!)
- 5:00 p.m. (SOLD OUT!)
Please call the museum to check on any changes in availability for the tours.
Transportation to and from the museum is on your own; the museum is about 3.5 miles from the convention hotel and is accessible via taxi/rideshare or by several Port Authority bus lines in the city. All questions and inquiries should be directed to the Clemente Museum at the main number above.
The Clemente Museum is housed in historic Engine House 25, 3339 Penn Avenue, in the revitalized Lawrenceville section of Pittsburgh. Executive Director and Curator Duane Rieder has meticulously renovated Engine House 25 to showcase the world’s largest exhibited collection of baseball artifacts, works of art, literature, photographs, memorabilia, and related materials which focus on Roberto Clemente, his teammates, his personal life, and his humanitarian causes. For more information, visit clementemuseum.org.
Get your copy of The National Pastime convention journal
All SABR 48 attendees will receive a souvenir print edition of The National Pastime, our annual convention journal, focusing on baseball teams, players, and events in the Pittsburgh area. All SABR members, whether you attend the convention or not, will receive the e-book edition of The National Pastime in their inboxes later this summer. Click here to register for SABR 48.
- 2017 convention coverage: For complete coverage of SABR 47 in New York City, click here
- SABR Convention History: For a multimedia look at every SABR convention since 1971, click here