Klapisch: The birth of Yankee Stadium

From Bob Klapisch at The National Pastime Museum on December 18, 2015:

The images are grainy and in black and white, like some distant dream. And to most Yankees fans, the stadium—the old stadium, the original building—barely exists except for what’s depicted in the history books.

Sure, everyone knows it was called “The House That Ruth Built,” but the memory banks are bare beyond that single factoid. Too bad, because the present-day stadium traces its roots directly to the structure that opened in 1923 and officially liberated the Yankees from the New York Giants.

The Bombers—known as the Highlanders back then—had been sharing the Polo Grounds with their National League counterparts since 1913, forced to live in the shadow of their more successful landlord. The Yankees had played at Hilltop Park in the preceding 10 years (hence their nickname, Highlanders) but became the Giants’ tenants in the bigger and more impressive stadium.

Read the full article here: http://www.thenationalpastimemuseum.com/article/birth-yankee-stadium

Originally published: December 18, 2015. Last Updated: December 18, 2015.