Pirates president Frank Coonelly, broadcaster Joe Block, Wendell Smith panel to highlight SABR 48
We are pleased to announce some of our featured speakers and panelists for the SABR 48 convention this summer in Pittsburgh.
SABR 48 will be held June 20-24, 2018, at the Wyndham Grand hotel in downtown Pittsburgh, just blocks from PNC Park. The conference is open to all baseball fans, and early registration is now available online. Click here to register!
Here is some more information about our featured speakers:
- Frank Coonelly, Pittsburgh Pirates president, who will deliver the opening remarks on Thursday, June 21
- Joe Block, Pittsburgh Pirates play-by-play broadcaster, who will speak at our special SABR 48 ballpark session at PNC Park on Friday, June 22
Our panel on the life and legacy of Wendell Smith, pioneering African American sports writer for the Pittsburgh Courier and J.G. Taylor Spink Award recipient, is expected to include:
- Chris Lamb, professor of journalism at Indiana University-Indianapolis and author of Conspiracy of Silence: Sportswriters and the Campaign to End Segregated Baseball
- Larry Lester, chair of SABR's Negro Leagues Research Committee and author of nine books on baseball history
- Pamela E. Walck, media professor at Duquesne University and author of an upcoming book on the Pittsburgh Courier
- David K. Wiggins, professor at George Mason University and author of the upcoming book, More than a Game: A History of the African American Experience in Sport
Please note: All speakers are subject to change depending on availability.
The annual SABR convention, which is open to all baseball fans, includes top featured speakers from around the baseball world — front office executives, players, managers, scouts, journalists, historians, and analysts — innovative panel discussions, groundbreaking research presentations, major and minor league games, tours of historic ballparks, the SABR Trivia Contest, the Awards Luncheon, and most of all, the opportunity to make and renew baseball friendships over the course of this exciting and memorable event.
For more information, visit SABR.org/convention.
This page was last updated April 13, 2018 at 1:38 pm MST.