The Philadelphia 19th Century Baseball Interdisciplinary Symposium, co-hosted by SABR’s Nineteenth Century Research Committee and the Connie Mack/Philadelphia Chapter, will take place from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 12, 2016, at Maggiano’s Restaurant, 1201 Filbert St. in the Center City of Philadelphia.
The Philadelphia symposium will include a buffet lunch with a special luncheon speaker, research presentations, and panel discussions. Space is limited, so reserve your spot today!
- Registration: Click here to download a registration form. Registration is $95 per person, for SABR members and up to three guests. Please make check or money order payable to SABR and include ““Phila. 19cBB Symposium” on the memo line. Mail form and payment to Peter Mancuso, 6970 Ely Rd., New Hope, PA 18938, before November 1, 2016.
For more information, please contact Peter Mancuso at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is the tentative schedule:
- 9:00 -10:00 a.m.: Check-in and Continental Breakfast
- 10:00-10:15 a.m.: Introduction and Greetings
- 10:15-10:45 a.m.: Welcoming Address: John Thorn, Official Historian of Major League Baseball
- 10:45-11:00 a.m.: Mid-morning Refreshment
- 11:00-11:30 a.m.: Research Presentation: Ralph Carhart, “The Pre-1871 Spread of ‘Base Ball’ in the Greater Philadelphia Area”
- 11:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.: Research Presentation: Jerrold Casway, “Cricket’s Foundation for Philadelphia Baseball”
- 12:00-2:00 p.m.: Luncheon and Keynote Speakers: Daniel R. Biddle and Murray Dubin, Co-authors, “Tasting Freedom: Octavius Catto and the Battle for Equality in Civil War America;” book signings begin
- 2:00-3:00 p.m.: Panel Discussion: “Philadelphia’s 19th Century Baseball Movers & Shakers”, Moderator, Dick Rosen; Panelists: Jerrold Casway, John Shiffert & TBA
- 3:00-3:15 p.m.: Break and Book Signings Continue
- 3:15-3:45 p.m.: Research Presentation: Richard Hershberger, “The Olympic Ball Club: Sport as a Social Endeavor”
- 3:45-4:00 p.m.: Afternoon Break Snacks and Book Signings Conclude
- 4:00-4:30 p.m.: Research Presentation: John Schiffert, “The 1871 Athletics: Baseball’s First Professional League Champions”
- 4:30-5:00 p.m.: Research Presentation: TBA
Originally published: June 14, 2016. Last Updated: June 14, 2016.