SABR accepting applications for Chief Executive Officer position
The Society for American Baseball Research was founded in Cooperstown, NY in 1971 and has grown to more than 6,000 members around the world. SABR members organize themselves in local chapters, research committees, and virtual communities of interest. A 501(c)3 charitable corporation, SABR’s annual budget approaches $1 million with revenues coming from events, dues, licensing, and donations. Our office is located in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University in downtown Phoenix. The website, SABR.org, is a central organizing tool and repository for the collective work of Society members. SABR’s Analytics Conference in early March and Annual Convention in the summer are flagship events for the baseball community.
As Chief Executive Officer of SABR, you’ll be a leader on many different fronts, ensuring no two days will be the same. As a natural innovator, you’ll drive growth initiatives and navigate the continuously evolving dynamics of the baseball industry. Your people skills will empower you to effectively interface with the Board of Directors, guide your staff, and interact with the membership at large. Your strong analytical and problem-solving skills will keep operations running smoothly and facilitate the implementation of new initiatives. As a confident communicator, you’ll shine as the face of SABR at events large and small.
- Lead a high-profile organization, both internally and externally, by serving its members, leading its staff, and representing its interests in public and private dealings within the baseball industry.
- Ensure daily operations adhere to established organization bylaws, policies, and legal guidelines. Develop and manage an annual budget and regularly communicate financial and operational status to the Board of Directors.
- Continuously enhance the Annual Convention, Analytics Conference, and other events that are critical to SABR’s prestige and revenue.
- Cultivate a strong charitable giving program.
- Interact regularly with membership, particularly with committee chairs and chapter leadership, and promote best practices within those segments of the Society. Develop programs to encourage membership and deepen the connection among members.
- Promote an inclusive environment that is welcoming to members and stakeholders of all backgrounds.
- Develop collaborative external relationships and partnerships that enhance the organization and its ability to deliver experiences and opportunities for its membership.
- Sustain, encourage, and expand SABR’s technology-based outreach on the web and in social media.
- Recruit, hire, and supervise staff as well as motivate and promote the development of the staff, committee members, and volunteers.
- Sustain a strong publications program with a focus on both contribution and consumption by members.
- Lead the development of SABR’s strategic vision.
- Travel frequently to advance the above objectives.
- Be a professional, capable, energetic, and positive leader. Have a reputation for high professional and ethical standards, be enthusiastic about working with a diverse staff, and be collaborative with a strong Board of Directors.
- Have experience with event planning.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to address large audiences.
- Have relevant experience and education, and a strong interest in baseball.
- Demonstrate a mastery of one or more social media tools and ability to leverage other internet-based technologies.
Ideal candidate profile
- Have an established network within the baseball community.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit with a proven track record of developing and cultivating industry partnerships.
- Have knowledge of nonprofit management along with familiarity of employment and intellectual property law.
- Have experience in strategic planning, board and community relations, personnel supervision, and financial management.
- Have experience managing or implementing information technology enhancements, projects or systems.
- Have experience in public speaking, public relations, and with commercial media, especially television.
- Hold an advanced degree in a related field plus many years of relevant experience.
- 3-5 references.
- Cover letter or statement describing your vision for the Society.
Compensation and Benefits
- Cash compensation is a mix of base salary and annual incentive pay.
- Eligible for standard SABR employee benefits.
All materials should be emailed to email@example.com. Applications will begin being read on June 11, 2018. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
This page was last updated May 21, 2018 at 1:09 pm MST.