The SABR Bookshelf: Spring 2018
Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes The SABR Bookshelf, a listing of new books that are received at the SABR office.
Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Spring 2018:
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Cronkite School at ASU, 555 N. Central Ave. #416, Phoenix, AZ 85004. An e-book file will also suffice; please send the e-book in PDF, EPUB or Kindle/MOBI format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
In addition, check out new books published by SABR at SABR.org/ebooks.
Click on the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- From Spring Training to Screen Test: Baseball Players Turned Actors, edited by Rob Edelman and Bill Nowlin
- Moments of Joy and Heartbreak: 66 Significant Episodes in the History of the Pittsburgh Pirates, edited by Jorge Iber and Bill Nowlin
- Tiger Stadium: Essays and Memories of Detroit's Historic Ballpark, 1912-2009, edited by Michael Betzold, John Davids, Bill Dow, John Pastier, and Frank Rashid
- Perfect Pitch: The National Anthem for the National Pastime, by Joseph L. Price
- Home of the Braves: The Battle for Baseball in Milwaukee, by Patrick W. Steele
- Red Sox vs. Braves in Boston: The Battle for Fans' Hearts, 1901-1952, by Charlie Bevis
- Baseball Pioneers: True Stories of Guts and Glory As Told By Pioneering Men and Women of the Game, by Kelly Holtzclaw and Jon Leonoudakis
- Biz Mackey, a Giant Behind the Plate: The Story of the Negro League Star and Hall of Fame Catcher, by Rich Westcott
- Mets in 10s: Best and Worst of an Amazin' History, by Brian Wright
- Motor City Champs: Mickey Cochrane and the 1934-1935 Detroit Tigers, by Scott Ferkovich
- Baseball Greatness: Top Players and Teams According to Wins Above Average, 1901-2017 , by David Kaiser
- Whitey Herzog Builds a Winner: The St. Louis Cardinals, 1979-1982, by Doug Feldmann
- Koufax Throws a Curve: The Los Angeles Dodgers at the End of an Era, 1964-1966, by Brian M. Endsley
- Glenn Killinger, All-American: Penn State's World War I Era Sports Hero, by Todd M. Mealy
- Alou: My Baseball Journey, by Felipe Alou with Peter Kerasotis
- The Pitcher and the Dictator: Satchel Paige's Unlikely Season in the Dominican Republic, by Averell "Ace" Smith
- Winning Ugly: A Visual History of the Most Bizarre Baseball Uniforms Ever Worn, by Todd Radom
- Dick Bosman on Pitching: Lessons from the Life of a Major League Ballplayer and Pitching Coach, by Ted Leavengood and Dick Bosman
- Gehrig and the Babe: The Friendship and the Feud, by Tony Castro
- Davey Johnson: My Wild Ride in Baseball and Beyond, by Davey Johnson and Erik Sherman
- Brothers in Arms: Koufax, Kershaw, and the Dodgers’ Extraordinary Pitching Tradition, by Jon Weisman
- Try Not to Suck: The Exceptional, Extraordinary Baseball Life of Joe Maddon, by Bill Chastain and Jesse Rogers
- The Big 50: St. Louis Cardinals, by Benjamin Hochman
- The Big 50: Cincinnati Reds, by Chad Dotson and Chris Garber
- The Big 50: Minnesota Twins, by Aaron Gleeman
- The Shift: The Next Evolution of Baseball Thinking, by Russell Carleton
- The Big 50: Boston Red Sox, by Evan Drellich
- Joy in Tigertown: A Determined Team, a Resilient City, and Our Magical Run to the 1968 World Series, by Mickey Lolich with Tom Gage
- Hawk: I Did It My Way, by Hawk Harrelson and Jeff Snook
- The Hometown Team, by Steve Babineau and Mike Shalin
- The Cloudbuster Nine: The Untold Story of Ted Williams and the Baseball Team that Helped Win World War II, by Anne R. Keene
- Once Upon a Team: The Epic Rise and Historic Fall of Baseball's Wilmington Quicksteps, by Jon Springer
- The Lyston Brothers: A Journey Through 19th Century Baseball, by Jimmy Keenan
- Babe Ruth: A Superstar's Legacy, by Jerry Amernic
- Hardball on the Hill, by James C. Roberts
- If God Invented Baseball: Poems, by E. Ethelbert Miller
- Outside the Lines of Gilded Age Baseball: Alcohol, Fitness, and Cheating in 1880s Baseball, by Rob Bauer
- Baseball’s Brotherhood Team, by Bryan Steverson
- Dawn and Dusk of the Colonial League, 1947-1950, by George Pawlush
- 100 Moments that Shaped Baseball History, by Jacob Kornhauser
To view previous listings in The SABR Bookshelf, click here.
This page was last updated April 24, 2018 at 2:03 pm MST.