Supplement to "Pitchers in the Field: The Use of Pitchers at Other Positions in the Major Leagues, 1969–2009"
This article was published in the Fall 2011 Baseball Research Journal.
This is a list of all pitchers from 1969 to 2010 who have made an appearance at another position in the field. It is supplemental material to Philippe Cousineau's article, "Pitchers in the Field: The Use of Pitchers at Other Positions in the Major Leagues, 1969–2009", in the Fall 2011 Baseball Research Journal.
|05/25/69||KC @ WAS A||Tom Burgmeier||RF||12||J. Gordon||1|
|04/16/70||CHI @ PHI N||Dick Selma||3B||8||F. Lucchesi||2|
|04/28/70||PHI @ LA N||Dick Selma||3B||10||F. Lucchesi||3|
|05/01/70||PIT @ CIN N||Wayne Granger||LF||9||S. Anderson||4|
|05/02/70||CLE @ KC A||Jim Rooker||LF||16||C. Metro||5|
|06/28/70 (2)||PHI @ STL N||Dick Selma||1B||9||F. Lucchesi||6|
|07/06/70||WAS @ CLE A||Sam McDowell||2B||8||A. Dark||7|
|09/02/70||CLE @ WAS A||Sam McDowell||1B||6||A. Dark||8|
|09/25/70||BAL @ CLE A||Jim Rittwage||3B||4||A. Dark||9|
|08/06/71||PHI @ PIT N||Bill Wilson||3B||8||F. Lucchesi||10|
|09/22/72||MON @ PIT N||Steve Renko||1B||10||G. Mauch||11|
|07/01/77||PIT @ PHI N||Terry Forster||RF||14||C. Tanner||12|
|09/01/79||PIT @ SF N||Kent Tekulve||LF||9||C. Tanner||13|
|09/29/79||TOR @ NY A||Ron Guidry||CF||9||B. Martin||14|
|08/03/80||BOS @ TEX A||Tom Burgmeier||LF||9||D. Zimmer||15|
|08/28/80||MIN @ TOR A||Dave Stieb||LF||15||B. Mattick||16|
|09/10/80||LA @ HOU N||Bobby Castillo||RF-LF||11||T. Lasorda||17|
|08/17/82||LA @ CHI N||Fernando Valenzuela||RF-LF||20||T. Lasorda||18|
|Bob Welch||LF-RF||21||T. Lasorda||19|
|10/03/82||OAK @ KC A||Rick Langford||CF-LF||5||B. Martin||20|
|07/24/83||KC @ NY A||Ron Guidry||CF||9||B. Martin||21|
|09/30/84 (2)||PIT @ PHI N||Don Robinson||LF||1||C. Tanner||22|
|06/24/86||PIT @ STL N||Todd Worrell||RF||9||W. Herzog||23|
|06/27/86||PHI @ STL N||Todd Worrell||RF||12||W. Herzog||24|
|07/22/86||NY @ CIN N||Jesse Orosco||RF||10||D. Johnson||25|
|Roger McDowell||RF-LF||11||D. Johnson||26|
|09/28/86||LA @ SF N||Randy Bockus||LF-RF||14||R. Craig||27|
|Jeff Robinson||RF||15||R. Craig||28|
|10/01/86||CIN @ ATL N||Jeff Dedmon||LF||7||C. Tanner||29|
|06/17/87||SF @ ATL N||Keith Comstock||RF||7||R. Craig||30|
|08/07/87||STL @ PHI N||Ricky Horton||RF||8||W. Herzog||31|
|09/22/87||PHI @ STL N||Todd Worrell||RF||9||W. Herzog||32|
|10/13/87||SF @ STL N||Todd Worrell||RF||9||W. Herzog||33|
|05/14/88||ATL @ STL N||Jose DeLeon||LF-RF||16||W. Herzog||34|
|06/11/88||BAL @ NY A||Rick Rhoden||DH||1||B. Martin||35|
|04/11/89||STL @ CHI N||Todd Worrell||RF||8||W. Herzog||36|
|06/03/89||LA @ HOU N||Fernando Valenzuela||1B||21||T. Lasorda||37|
|06/06/89||MIL @ TOR A||Chuck Crim||1B||9||T. Trebelhorn||38|
|09/04/89||KC @ DET A||Frank Williams||LF, RF||8||S. Anderson||39|
|06/13/90||NY @ CHI N||Les Lancaster||LF||7||D. Zimmer||40|
|10/01/91||SD @ LA N||Roger McDowell||LF||9||T. Lasorda||41|
|10/06/91||LA @ SF N||Roger McDowell||LF||9||T. Lasorda||42|
|07/15/93||SEA @ BOS A||Jeff Nelson||LF||8||L. Piniella||43|
|08/24/93 (2)||OAK @ MIL A||Ricky Bones||RF||10||P. Garner||44|
|10/03/93||SEA @ MIN A||Randy Johnson||LF||8||L. Piniella||45|
|10/01/95||BOS @ MIL A||Bill Wegman||RF||9||P. Garner||46|
|07/02/99||ATL @ NY N||Rick Reed||RF||9||B. Valentine||47|
|08/08/99||LA @ NY N||Chuck McElroy||LF||9||B. Valentine||48|
|06/08/07||OAK A @ SF N||Noah Lowry||RF||10||B. Bochy||49|
|04/03/08||PIT @ ATL N||Chris Resop||LF||10||B. Cox||50|
|04/30/09||BOS @ TB A||Javier Lopez||RF||8||T. Francona||51|
|07/12/09 (2)||STL @ CHI N||Sean Marshall||LF||9||L. Piniella||52|
|04/17/10||NY @ STL N||Kyle Lohse||LF||18||T. LaRussa||53|
|08/24/10||HOU @ PHI N||Roy Oswalt||LF||15||C. Manuel||54|
Pitchers of the divisional era who played at least one game in the field before 1969:
- Steve Blass, one game as LF for PIT N on 1968-08-31.
- Tom Burgmeier, one game as LF for CAL A on 1968-09-03.
- Jim Hunter, one game as 1B for KC A on 1967-06-18.
- Ron Kline, one game as 3B for PIT N on 1955-07-08 (completion of game of 1955-05-29 (2)).
- Jim Maloney, one game as LF for CIN N on 1961-09-29.
- Al McBean, one game as LF for PIT N in 1965-08-18.
- Claude Osteen, one game as LF for CIN N on 1961-04-27.
- 1. Pinch ran for Hawk Taylor in 12th inning. Stayed in game as RF until end of game in 12 innings.
- 2. With two outs in 8th inning, RHP Selma moved to 3B while LHP Joe Hoerner replaced 3B Don Money. Selma stayed until replaced by PH Sam Parrilla in 9th inning.
- 3. With two outs in 10th inning, RhP Selma moved to 3B while LhP Joe Hoerner replaced 3B Tony Taylor. Selma stayed at 3B until end of game in 10 innings.
- 4. With two outs in 9th inning, RhP Granger moved to LF while LhP Don Gullett replaced LF Bernie Carbo. Granger stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 5. Pinch ran for C Jim Campanis in 15th inning. Stayed in game as LF, while LF Lou Piniella moved to 1B and 1B Ed Kirkpatrick moved to C. Stayed until end of game in 17 innings.
- 6. With one out in 9th inning, RhP Selma moved to 1B while 1B Deron Johnson moved to 3B and LhP Woodie Fryman replaced 3B Don Money. Fryman retired the one batter he faced and was replaced by 3B Tony Taylor while Selma returned to P and Johnson returned to 1B. Selma pitched until end of game in 10 innings.
- 7. With two outs in 8th inning, LhP McDowell moved to 2B while RhP Dean Chance replaced 3B Graig Nettles and 2B Eddie Leon moved to 3B. Chance obtained one out. At beginning of 9th inning, 2B Larry Brown replaced P Chance and McDowell returned to pitcher. McDowell pitched until end of game in 9 innings.
- 8. With one out in 6th inning, LhP McDowell moved to 1B while RhP Dean Chance replaced LF Roy Foster, RF Vada Pinson moved to LF, and 1B Duke Sims moved to RF. Chance obtained two outs. At beginning of 7th inning, LF John Lowenstein replaced P Chance, LF Pinson moved to RF, RF Sims moved to 1B and McDowell returned to P. McDowell stayed in game until replaced by PH Lou Camilli in 9th inning.
- 9. With two outs in 4th inning, RhP Rittwage moved to 3B while LhP Rick Austin replaced 3B Larry Brown. Austin obtained one out and was replaced by PH Rich Rollins in 4th inning. At beginning of 5th inning, 3B Graig Nettles replaced PH Rollins and Rittwage returned to P until replaced by PH Ted Ford in 7th inning.
- 10. With one out in 8th inning, RhP Bill Wilson moved to 3B while LhP Joe Hoerner replaced 3B Terry Harmon. Hoerner retired one batter and was replaced by 3B Bobby Pfeil while Wilson returned to P and pitched until end of game in 9 innings.
- 11. Replaced SS Tim Foli in 10th inning and played 1B while 1B Bob Bailey moved to 3B and 3B Coco Laboy moved to SS. Stayed until end of game in 12 innings.
- 12. Replaced ejected SS Frank Taveras after two batters in 14th inning. Played RF while RF Dave Parker moved to 2B and 2B Phil Garner moved to SS. Stayed until end of game in 14 innings.
- 13. With two outs in 9th inning, RhP Tekulve moved to LF while LhP Grant Jackson replaced LF John Milner. Tekulve stayed in LF until end of game in 9 innings.
- 14. Replaced CF Bobby Murcer in 9th inning. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 15. With two outs in 9th inning LhP Burgmeier replaced Jim Rice as LF. RhP Skip Lockwood replaced DH Gary Allenson. Burgmeier stayed in LF until end of game in 9 innings.
- 16. Game completed on 1980-08-29. Replaced 1B Otto Velez in 15th inning and played LF while LF Garth Iorg moved to 1B. Stayed until end of game in 15 innings.
- 17. Replaced CF Bobby Mitchell and played RF, while RF Rick Monday moved to CF, P Don Stanhouse replaced Gary Thomasson who had pinch hit for C Steve Yeager, and Joe Ferguson, who had pinch hit for P Steve Howe, stayed in the game as C. Castillo exchanged positions five times with LF Dusty Baker until end of game in 12 innings.
- 18. Game completed on 1982-08-18. Replaced 3B Ron Cey - who had been ejected - in 20th inning and played RF, while RF Pedro Guerrero moved to 3B. Exchanged position with LF Dusty Baker after two outs and stayed until replaced by Bob Welch in 21st inning.
- 19. Game completed on 1982-08-18. Replaced LF Fernando Valenzuela in 21st inning. Exchanged positions two times with RF Dusty Baker and played until end of game in 21 innings.
- 20. Replaced CF Dave Lopes in 5th inning. Moved to LF in 6th inning replacing Jeff Burroughs, while Mike Davis, who pinch ran for Burrough, moved to CF. Replaced in 8th inning by Darrell Brown who played RF while RF Mike Heath moved to LF.
- 21. Game completed on 1983-08-18. Replaced C Rick Cerone and played CF with two outs in 9th inning, while CF Jerry Mumphrey was replaced by C Butch Wynegar. Replaced by PH Oscar Gamble in 9th inning.
- 22. Started game as LF. Replaced by PH Doug Frobel in 6th inning.
- 23. With two outs in 9th inning, RhP Worrell moved to RF, RF Andy Van Slyke moved to LF and LhP Ken Dayley replaced LF Vince Coleman. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 24. With two outs in 12th inning, RhP Worrell moved to RF while LhP Ricky Horton replaced RF Tito Landrum. Stayed in RF until replaced by PH Curt Ford in 12th inning.
- 25. With one out in 10th inning, LhP Orosco moved to RF, while RF Kevin Mitchell was ejected and replaced by C Ed Hearn, C Gary Carter moved to 3B to replace Ray Knight, who was also ejected, and RhP Roger McDowell replaced Knight. McDowell completed a strike out credited to Orosco. With two outs in 11th inning, Orosco moved back to P while McDowell replaced him in RF. In 13th inning, Orosco moved back to RF while RF Mookie Wilson moved to LF and LF McDowell returned to P. Orosco stayed in RF until end of game in 14 innings.
- 26. With two outs in 11th inning, RhP Roger McDowell moved to RF while RF Jesse Orosco moved to P. After one batter in 12th inning, McDowell exchanged positions with LF Mookie Wilson. McDowell returned to P in 13th inning while Orosco moved to RF and RF Wilson moved to LF. McDowell pitched until end of game in 14 innings.
- 27. Pinch hit for Rob Thompson in 13th inning. Stayed in game as LF, then exchanged positions with RF Mike Aldrete after one out. Replaced by pinch hitter Mike Krukow in 14th inning.
- 28. Replaced pinch hitter Mike Krukow as RF in 15th inning. Stayed until end of game in 16 innings.
- 29. With two outs in 7th inning, RhP Jeff Dedmon moved to LF, while LF Terry Harper moved to RF and LhP Paul Assenmacher replaced RF Darryl Motley. Assenmacher faced one batter and then was replaced by Omar Moreno who played RF while Harper moved from RF to LF and Dedmon moved back to P. Dedmon pitched until replaced by PH Ted Simmons in 8th inning.
- 30. With one out in 7th inning, LhP Comstock moved to LF, while LF Chili Davis moved to RF and RhP Randy Bockus replaced RF Mike Aldrete. Bockus faced one batter and was replaced by Jeffrey Leonard, who played LF, while Davis moved back to RF and Comstock returned to P. Comstock faced two more batters before being replaced by Harry Spilman, who moved to 3B, while P Jon Perlman replaced 3B Chris Speier.
- 31. Replaced PH John Tudor in 8th inning and played RF, while RF John Morris moved to CF, CF Willie McGee moved to SS and SS Jose Oquendo moved to P. Stayed until of end of game in 9 innings.
- 32. After one batter in 9th inning, RhP Worrell moved to RF while LhP Ken Dayley replaced RF Lance Johnson. Dayley retired the one batter he faced then was replaced by RF John Morris while Worrell returned to P. Worrell pitched until end of game in 9 innings.
- 33. Game 6 of the NLCS. With one out in 9th inning, RhP Worrell moved to RF while LhP Ken Dayley replaced RF John Morris. Worrell stayed in RF until end of game in 9 innings.
- 34. Replaced P Randy O’Neal in 16th inning and played LF while LF Duane Walker moved to 1B and 1B Jose Oquendo moved to P. DeLeon exchanged positions with RF Tom Brunansky 11 times until 19th inning. Replaced by PH John Tudor in 19th inning.
- 35. Started game as DH. Replaced by PH Jose Cruz in 5th inning.
- 36. With one out in 8th inning, RhP Worrell replaced Tom Brunansky in RF, while Brunansky moved to 1B. LhP Ken Dayley replaced 1B Pedro Guerrero. Dayley and Worrell remained in their positions until the end of the inning. Saint-Louis did not manage to tie the score in the top of the 9th inning and the game ended.
- 37. Replaced P Orel Hershiser in 21st inning and played 1B while 1B Eddie Murray moved to 3B and 3B Jeff Hamilton moved to P. Stayed until end of game in 22 innings.
- 38. With one out in 9th inning, RhP Crim replaced Greg Brock at 1B. LhP Tony Fossas replaced DH Robin Yount. Fossas pitched to one batter and was replaced by Terry Francona who moved to 1B while Crim returned to P until end of game in 9 innings.
- 39. Replaced LF Rob Richie in 8th inning; moved to RF in 9th inning, with Gary Ward going to LF. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 40. With one out in 7th inning, RhP Lancaster moved to LF while LhP Paul Asenmacher replaces LF Doug Dascenzo. Assenmacher faced three batters and was replaced by Marvell Wynne who played LF while Lancaster returned to P. Lancaster pitched until replaced by 1B Hector Villanueva with one out in 9th inning while P Dean Wilkins replaced 1B Mark Grace.
- 41. RhP McDowell moved to LF in 9th inning while LhP John Candelaria replaced LF Chris Gwynn. Candelaria faced one batter. After one out, McDowell returned to P while Stan Javier replaced Candelaria and played LF. McDowell pitched until end of game in 9 innings.
- 42. Replaced LF Chris Gwynn in 9th inning. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 43. Came in as P in 8th inning. After two outs, replaced DH Mark Newfield and moved to LF while LhP Dennis Powell replaced LF Greg Litton. Pete O’Brien pinch hit for Powell in 9th inning and was replaced by Mike Felder who moved to LF while Nelson returned to P. Nelson was replaced by LhP Mike Hampton with two outs in 9th inning.
- 44. Replaced injured 2B Dickie Thon in 10th inning. Played RF, while Darryl Hamilton moved from RF to CF, Robin Yount moved from CF to 1B and John Jaha moved from 1B to 2B. In the 11th inning, DH Kevin Reimer went to play RF and Milwaukee pitchers batted until end of game in 13 innings.
- 45. Replaced LF Brian Turang in 8th inning. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 46. Replaced LF B.J. Surhoff in 9th inning and played RF, while CF Duane Singleton moved to LF and PH Darryl Hamilton moved to CF. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 47. With 2 outs in 9th inning, replaced P John Franco and played RF while RF Roger Cedeno moved to 2B, 2B Luis Lopez moved to 3B and 3B Matt Franco moved to P. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 48. Came in as P in 8th inning. Exchanged positions with LF Matt Franco in 9th inning. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 49. With two outs in the 10th inning, replaced C Eliezer Alfonso who was injured in a collision at home plate and played RF while 3B Pedro Feliz moved to C, CF Randy Winn moved to 3B, and RF Dan Ortmeier moved to CF. Stayed until end of game in 10 innings.
- 50. With one out in the 10th inning, RhP Resop replaced Matt Diaz in LF. LhP Royce Ring came to pitch and retired one batter. Resop returned to pitch until end of game in 10 innings and Gregor Blanco replaced Ring and played LF.
- 51. Came in as P in 8th inning; after one out, exchanged positions with RF Jonathan Van Every. Stayed until end of game in 9 innings.
- 52. With none out in 9th inning, LhP Marshall replaced LF Alfonso Soriano and RhP Aaron Heilman came in to pitch; after one out, LF Reed Johnson replaced Heilman and Marshall returned to pitch until end of game in 9 innings.
- 53. In 18th inning, came in as LF as Joe Mather moved to 3B and 3B Felipe Lopez moved to P. Stayed until end of game in 20 innings.
- 54. In 15th inning, replaced 1B Ryan Howard who was ejected in bottom of 14th inning and played LF while LF Raul Ibanez moved to 1B. Stayed until end of game in 16 innings.