APRIL 22, 2022 — Each year, SABR’s Deadball Era Committee presents the Larry Ritter Book Award to recognize the best new baseball book primarily set in the Deadball Era that was published during the previous calendar year.
Here is the list of Ritter Award finalists for 2022:
- Gettysburg Eddie Plank: A Pitcher’s Journey to the Hall of Fame, by Dave Heller (McFarland & Co.)
- Wahoo Sam Crawford: The King of Sluggers, by Kent Krause (Kodar Publishing)
- Barney Dreyfuss: Pittsburgh’s Baseball Titan, by Brian Martin (McFarland & Co.)
- Comeback Pitchers: The Remarkable Careers of Howard Ehmke and Jack Quinn, by Lyle Spatz and Steve Steinberg (University of Nebraska Press)
- Double Plays and Double Crosses: The Black Sox and Baseball in 1920, by Don Zminda (Rowman & Littlefield)
The winner will be announced in the coming weeks.
First presented in 2002, the Larry Ritter Award is the centerpiece of the Deadball Era Committee’s endeavors and is bestowed annually upon the best work set primarily in the Deadball Era published during the preceding year. The award is named in honor of late SABR member Lawrence S. Ritter, author of The Glory of Their Times, the work that revived interest in the Deadball Era and often cited as the greatest baseball book ever written.
The awards committee is chaired by Doug Skipper, with Mark Dugo, Ben Klein, Craig Lammers, Mark Pattison, Andrew Milner, Don Jensen, and John McMurray.
For a list of past Ritter Award winners, click here.
Originally published: April 22, 2022. Last Updated: April 22, 2022.