JANUARY 22, 2024 — SABR is pleased to announce the recipients of the inaugural Sarah Langs Women in Baseball Analytics Scholarship, named in honor of baseball researcher and analyst Sarah Langs.
This year’s recipients are:
- Amelia Moir, Oregon State University
- Abbey Poole, Miami (Ohio) University
- Anika Pophali, Ridge (New Jersey) High School
This annual scholarship, made possible thanks to the support of the Gennaro Family Fund, will provide meaningful professional development and networking opportunities for female identifying students or young professionals pursuing a career in baseball analytics and data science. Recipients will receive:
- Registration for the SABR Analytics Conference, baseball’s premier analytics symposium, including hotel accommodations and travel stipend
- Registration for all courses in the SABR Analytics Certification program, an online, on-demand curriculum offering professional development and learning opportunities for those interested in elevating their skills and knowledge relating to baseball analytics
- One-year SABR membership, which includes access to quarterly SABR Scholar Session virtual networking events
A beloved member of the baseball community and a SABR member since 2019, Langs graduated from the University of Chicago before beginning her career as a researcher at ESPN. Her work and regular appearances on Baseball Tonight led to a role as a writer and popular on-air contributor for Major League Baseball. In 2021 she was diagnosed with ALS, commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, and has since become a leading advocate for ALS research.
Originally published: January 22, 2024. Last Updated: January 25, 2024.