Announcing finalists for 2020 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards
We’re pleased to announce the finalists for the 2020 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards, which will recognize baseball researchers who have completed the best work of original analysis or commentary during the preceding calendar year.
Nominations were solicited by representatives from SABR, Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, The Hardball Times, and Beyond the Box Score. Here are the finalists for the 2020 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards:
Contemporary Baseball Analysis
- Robert Arthur, “The Baseball is Juiced (Again),” Baseball Prospectus, April 5, 2019.
- Craig Edwards, “Baseball’s Competitive Balance Problem,” FanGraphs, November 18, 2019.
- Sam Miller, “How is WAR Calculated, Really? Breaking Down a Single Play to Find Out,” ESPN.com, December 5, 2019.
- Jason Themanson, “Psychology of Walks and Singles,” The Hardball Times, June 19, 2019.
- Meredith Wills, “Yes, the Baseball is Different — Again. An Astrophysicist Examines This Year’s Baseballs and Breaks Down the Changes,” The Athletic, June 25, 2019.
Contemporary Baseball Commentary
- Daniel R. Epstein, “Don’t Let MLB Insult You,” Beyond the Box Score, December 23, 2019.
- Craig Goldstein, “Deep, But Playable: The Moral Hazard of Playing it Safe,” Baseball Prospectus, August 6, 2019.
- David Roth, “The Smartest Guys in the Clubhouse,” The New Republic, December 3, 2019.
- Shakeia Taylor, “Loss, For Words,” Baseball Prospectus, April 24, 2019.
- Emily Waldon, “I Can’t Afford to Play This Game: Minor Leaguers Open Up About the Realities of Their Pay and the Impact on Their Lives,” The Athletic, March 15, 2019.
Historical Baseball Analysis/Commentary
- R.J. Anderson, “The Business Behind MLB Expansion: Portland, Montreal and Raleigh Taking Different Approaches to Landing a Team,” CBS Sports, July 17, 2019.
- Jay Jaffe, “Pitcher, Author, Everyman, Hero: Jim Bouton (1939-2019),” FanGraphs, July 11, 2019.
- Herm Krabbenhoft, “How Many Hits Did Ty Cobb Make in His Major League Career? What Is His Lifetime Batting Average?” SABR Baseball Research Journal, Spring 2019.
- Rachael McDaniel, “The Meaning of Ichiro,” FanGraphs, March 21, 2019.
- Marc Normandin, “MLB’s Luxury Tax Became A Salary Cap Because Of Decades Of Failures,” Deadspin, January 31, 2019.
Details and criteria for each category can be found here. Only one work per author was considered as a finalist.
Voting for the winners will be conducted online beginning next week at SABR.org, BaseballProspectus.com, FanGraphs.com, HardballTimes.com, and BeyondtheBoxScore.com, with results weighted equally at 20%.
Results will be announced and presented at the ninth annual SABR Analytics Conference, March 13-15, 2020, at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown in Phoenix, Arizona. Learn more or register for the conference at SABR.org/analytics.
Originally published: January 24, 2020. Last Updated: January 24, 2020.