The SABR Bookshelf is a listing of books received at the SABR office. To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Society for American Baseball Research, 4455 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. D-140, Phoenix, AZ 85018.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Publishers’ contact information can be found by clicking here.
All new SABR Bookshelf listings can be purchased at the SABR Bookstore, powered by Amazon.com.
Click the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- Wizardry: Baseball’s All-Time Greatest Fielders Revealed, by Michael Humphreys
- Moneyball, by Michael Lewis (republished)
- Baseball Is …: Defining the National Pastime, edited by Paul Dickson
- Fenway 1912: The Birth of a Ballpark, a Championship Season, and Fenway’s Remarkable First Year, by Glenn Stout
- The Deacon and the Schoolmaster: Phillippe and Leever, Pittsburgh’s Great Turn-of-the-Century Pitchers, by Robert Peyton Wiggins
- DiMaggio’s Yankees: A History of the 1936-1944 Dynasty, by Lew Freedman
- Roger Connor: Home Run King of 19th Century Baseball, by Roy Kerr
- The Baseball Film in Postwar America: A Critical Study, 1948-1962, by Ron Briley
- Baseball’s Heartland War, 1902-1903: The Western League and American Association vie for Turf, Players and Profits, by Dennis Pajot
- The Rise of Latin American Baseball Leagues, 1947-1961: Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Panama, Puerto Rico and Venezuela, by Lou Hernandez
- The Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League: A History, 1903-1957, by Richard Beverage
- The Greatest Minor League: A History of the Pacific Coast League, 1903-1957, by Dennis Snelling
- Peanuts and Crackerjacks: A Baseball Novel, by M.Z. Ribalow
- Baseball in Petersburg: The Virginia League and Beyond, by Larry C. Toombs
- The Bill James Handbook 2012, by Baseball Info Solutions
- A Unique Look at Big League Baseball, by Joe Taxiera
- The Giants Win The Series! Headlines and Highlights of 1954, by Mike Getz
- Garlic Fries and Baseball: The Book, by Ronni Redmond
- One Home Run, by Art Voellinger
- Lipman Pike: America’s First Home Run King, by Richard Michelson (illustrations by Zachary Pullen)
- Amazing Baseball Heroes: Inspirational Negro League Stories, by Bryan Steverson
To see all Spring/Summer 2011 listings for The SABR Bookshelf, click here.
Originally published: November 22, 2011. Last Updated: November 22, 2011.