The sixth annual SABR Analytics Conference is coming up next week, and all baseball fans are invited to attend!
On March 9-11, 2017, at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix in Arizona, the Society for American Baseball Research will bring together the top minds in the baseball analytics community to discuss, debate and share insightful ways to analyze and examine the great game of baseball. Registration is available online at SABR.org/analytics or on-site during the conference beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 9.
Representatives from more than 25 Major League Baseball front offices are expected to attend this year’s SABR Analytics Conference. The schedule will consist of a combination of Guest Speakers, Panels, and nearly a dozen cutting-edge Research Presentations — plus the unique Diamond Dollars Case Competition, in which undergraduate, graduate, and law school students from across the country analyze and present a real baseball operations decision.
Featured speakers and panelists at the 2017 SABR Analytics Conference are expected to include:
- Hall of Fame pitcher Randy Johnson and postseason legend Luis Gonzalez of the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Chicago Cubs GM Jed Hoyer and front-office executives Jason McLeod and Scott Harris, on the team’s “Five-Year Journey to the World Series”
- Sabermetric pioneer Bill James
- Seattle Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto and Arizona Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen
- Tom Tango, Mike Petriello, and Daren Willman of MLB Advanced Media, on the innovative Statcast system installed at all major-league ballparks
- ESPN broadcasters Jessica Mendoza and Jon “Boog” Sciambi
- Arizona Diamondbacks broadcaster Mike Ferrin and Chicago Cubs broadcaster Jim Deshaies
- MLB Network host and author Brian Kenny and analyst Eric Byrnes
- SABR President and author Vince Gennaro
- Technology leaders Jordan Muraskin of deCervo, Brian Murphy of STRIVR Labs, and sports ophthalmologist Daniel Laby
- Research presentations by representatives from Baseball Info Solutions, Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, SaberSim LLC, Syracuse University, UC Irvine, and more.
Visit SABR.org/analytics for the full list of speakers, panelists, and presenters, along with the complete schedule.
Originally published: March 2, 2017. Last Updated: March 2, 2017.