MLB.com, the official web site of Major League Baseball, is seeking stats stringers to cover these clubs in 2016 and beyond:
- Baltimore/Washington DC
- Los Angeles (both clubs)
- Oakland/San Francisco
Stats stringers are responsible for digitally scoring games from the MLB ballparks, which provides the data used in the live content applications on MLB.com, including At-Bat, Gameday and MLB.TV, real-time highlights and text alerts, and by our business partners. This is a perfect part-time job for a responsible, computer-savvy person who happens to be a big baseball fan.
- Arrive at the ballpark no later than one hour prior to the scheduled start time;
- Double-check and verify all pre-game information: rosters, umpires, weather conditions, etc.;
- During the game, enter the results of every pitch and game event (plays, substitutions, etc.) using our proprietary software and coding language;
- Work closely with our game-night support staff (via AOL Instant Messenger) to ensure proper scoring of all game events and accuracy of data;
- After the game, enter all post-game information: winning and losing pitcher, saves, holds, time and attendance;
- Validate all stats and data in our scoring software against the official box score provided by the Official Scorer.
- Exceptional (and demonstrable) knowledge of baseball and how to score a baseball game;
- Strong computer proficiency (Windows OS and Windows-based software) and the ability to quickly learn and operate new software;
- Previous experience (including pressbox exposure) with a professional or college sports team, preferably baseball;
- Regular availability to attend games in-person as required by the schedule: weekdays, nights and weekends;
- A “team player” with a great attitude, including but not limited to a willingness to make and learn from mistakes and the ability to work closely and cooperatively (and take direction from) our game-night staff;
- Professionalism. It’s a fun job and we pay people to watch baseball, but it’s also an important job and we want people who will take the responsibility seriously.
(New stringers undergo an 8-10 week correspondence training program, and co-score several practice games in the ballpark with a returning stringer, before scoring any games solo in the ballpark.)
Those interested in applying should apply online, here: http://mlb.theresumator.com/apply/oHAhlE/Stats-Stringers
ONLY those who apply online will be considered, and due to volume, we may be unable to respond to all applicants.
Thanks and good luck!
Originally published: December 3, 2015. Last Updated: December 3, 2015.