From SABR member Joe Niese at the Chippewa Herald on May 3, 2016:
This year marks the 110th anniversary of an important event in the history of Chippewa Falls.
In March 1906 prominent businessman William Irvine donated 85 acres to the city for a park. His philanthropic efforts, as well as those of the Chippewa Lumber and Boom Co. (an Irvine-owned enterprise) and L.C. Stanley, another distinguished name in area business, led to the establishment of Irvine Park.
That same month another announcement of interest was made, perhaps one that may have been met with more excitement. After years of trying, the city landed its first and to date last minor league baseball team.
For years Chippewa Falls had been unsuccessful in trying in trying to gain entrance into the minor leagues. Each spring came rumors of the prospects, but each time nothing came of the hearsay. 1906 was to be no different.
Originally published: May 19, 2016. Last Updated: May 19, 2016.