SABR invites all members to present their research findings to their colleagues attending SABR 50, the 2022 annual convention in Baltimore.
Oral presentations are expected to last 20 minutes, followed by a five minute question-and-answer period. Posters will be presented, with the author on-hand to discuss the work, during a poster session of 60 minutes and they will remain on display throughout the convention.
Through on-site judging, the most highly-regarded presentations will receive the Doug Pappas Award for best oral presentation and the SABR Convention Poster Presentation Award for best poster presentation.
SABR 50 will be held August 17-21, 2022, at the Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Early registration rates and hotel information is now available at SABR.org/convention.
Click here to submit abstracts for SABR 50: http://bit.ly/sabr50-submissions
The submission deadline for SABR 50 abstracts is 11:59 p.m. PST on Friday, MARCH 11, 2022.
Baltimore’s long association with baseball includes both the major-league and minor-league Orioles, from the celebrated National League champions of the 1890s with John McGraw, Wee Willie Keeler, and Hughie Jennings to the Birds dynasty of the 1960s and ’70s with Frank and Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, and manager Earl Weaver. Cal Ripken Jr.’s consecutive games streak began 40 years ago in 1982 and Camden Yards opened 30 years ago in 1992. Babe Ruth and Al Kaline each hailed from Baltimore, and Hall of Famers Jimmie Foxx, Home Run Baker, and Harold Baines called Maryland home as well.
In general, we will follow the procedures used in recent years for reviewing and selecting research abstracts.
- Oral presentations will be limited to one presentation slot (20 minutes, plus five minutes for Q&A) in length.
- While submitters may express preference for one format or the other, all abstracts will be evaluated as both oral and poster presentations. Reviewers will not be informed of the submitter’s preference if one is expressed. If you believe the presentation cannot possibly be delivered in one of the formats, please make that clear in your submission to help simplify the acceptance process.
- At most two abstracts — one oral and one poster — will be accepted from each submitter. Researchers are encouraged to submit multiple abstracts, but no more than two of them will be accepted for presentation. In addition to the reviewers’ scores, the submitters preferred medium will be taken into consideration in the selection process. If more than one of a submitter’s abstracts scores well enough to be accepted in one medium (but neither scores well enough in the other medium for acceptance), the researcher will choose which one to present in its medium at SABR 50.
- The poster presentation display boards measure at 48″ x 48″ and all posters must include the SABR 50 convention logo (at least 2″ x 2″) somewhere on their poster. Please check out our Tipsheet to learn more about designing and displaying a high-quality poster at the SABR convention.
- Abstracts of proposed research presentations should be no more than 500 words in length, and must include the abstract’s title, review of previous work on the subject, a summary of the research methodology and anticipated results, and the expected contribution to the field of baseball research offered by this work.
Please note: If your abstract is accepted and you intend to make a research presentation, you must register to attend the SABR 50 convention. Registration details are now available at SABR.org/convention.
When submitting an abstract, the author should describe anticipated audio-visual needs if the abstract is accepted as an oral presentation. For oral presentations at the convention site, SABR will provide laptops and computer-connected projection systems. If your work will need another type of AV equipment, please let us know. Authors may submit multiple abstracts. SABR membership is not required in order to submit an abstract. All research submissions will be evaluated by blind review. All abstracts must be submitted electronically through the online form above.
Questions regarding the submission, review, and evaluation procedures should also be sent to email@example.com.
Originally published: March 1, 2022. Last Updated: March 8, 2022.