SABR’s Negro Leagues Committee is pleased to announce its 2012-13 essay-writing contest for high school seniors.
Each summer, the Negro Leagues Committee hosts the Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference. The 2013 conference will be held in Newark, New Jersey (dates TBA). Check SABR.org/malloy soon for more details.
There will be two $2,500 scholarships awarded by SABR. Download the application form here (PDF).
Essays, of 1,000 words or less, must answer one of the following questions:
- “What influence or impact did the Negro Leagues have on African American communities, past and present?
- “What is the legacy of Satchel Paige?”
- Current high school senior.
- Anticipating completion of high school diploma at the time of application.
- Planning to pursue a degree at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution.
- Carrying a minimum 2.5 GPA at the end of their junior year of high school.
- Application must be completed in full.
- Your essay must be attached to your application.
- Your submission must include a letter of recommendation from a high school teacher, guidance counselor or a school administrator, confirming graduation and GPA.
The Planning Committee of the Jerry Malloy Negro League Committee will review all the applications and make two selections. Note, only one essay will be accepted per applicant. The scholarship winners will be notified by April 15, 2013.
All applications must be postmarked no later than March 4, 2013, and mailed to: Dr. Leslie Heaphy – Kent State University at Stark Campus 6000 Frank Rd. North Canton, OH 44720 or e-mailed to Lheaphy@kent.edu.
For more information on the Malloy Conference, visit SABR.org/malloy.
Originally published: January 14, 2013. Last Updated: January 14, 2013.