SABR’s Women in Baseball Committee will award one $500 scholarship to a high school senior in its inaugural Women in Baseball Essay Contest in 2021.
Students must write an essay of 1,500 words or less addressing the following question: “Choose one person or event in women’s baseball history that you believe has made a significant impact on the game and explain the importance.”
- Click here to download the 2021 SABR Women in Baseball Scholarship application and style guidelines (PDF)
All applications must be e-mailed or postmarked by June 14, 2021, and sent to Dr. Leslie Heaphy at Lheaphy@kent.edu or Kent State University at Stark, 6000 Frank Rd., North Canton, OH 44720. The winner will be notified by August 2.
- Current high school senior
- Anticipating completion of high school diploma at time of application
- Planning to pursue a degree at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution
- Carry a minimum 2.5 GPA at the end of their junior year
The application must be completed in full to be considered. Submission must include the application, essay, letter of recommendation from school administrator or teacher, confirmation of GPA, expected graduation, and list of activities involved in at school and community service.
The Scholarship Committee of the Women in Baseball Committee will review all applications and make one selection. Only one essay per applicant. For questions, please contact Leslie Heaphy.
For more information about the SABR Women in Baseball Research Committee, click here.
Originally published: February 17, 2021. Last Updated: February 17, 2021.