Periodically throughout the year, SABR.org publishes listings of new books that are received at the SABR office. This feature is called The SABR Bookshelf, continuing a popular section from the old SABR Bulletin.
Here are The SABR Bookshelf listings for Spring 2014:
To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Society for American Baseball Research, 4455 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. D-140, Phoenix, AZ 85018. An e-book file will also suffice; please send the e-book in PDF, EPUB or Kindle/MOBI format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
Click the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- The Fight Of Their Lives: How Juan Marichal And John Roseboro Turned Baseball’s Ugliest Brawl Into A Story Of Forgiveness And Redemption, by John Rosengren
- Wrigley Field: The Long Life & Contentious Times of the Friendly Confines, by Stuart Shea
- Baseball On Trial: The Origin of Baseball’s Antitrust Exemption, by Nathaniel Grow
- Early Professional Baseball and the Sporting Press: Shaping the Image of the Game, by R. Terry Furst
- Baseball Prodigies: Best Major League Seasons by Players Under 21, by Charles F. Faber
- Baseball’s Comeback Players: Forty Major Leaguers Who Fell and Rose Again, by Rick Swaine
- A’s Bad as it Gets: Connie Mack’s Pathetic Athletics of 1916, by John G. Robertson and Andy Saunders
- The Great Eight: The 1975 Cincinnati Reds, edited by Mark Armour
- Pitching to the Pennant: The 1954 Cleveland Indians, edited by Joseph Wancho
- Jackie & Campy: The Untold Story of Their Rocky Relationship and the Breaking of Baseball’s Color Barrier, by William C. Kashatus
- Throwing Hard Easy: Reflections on a Life in Baseball, by Robin Roberts with C. Paul Rogers
- Bring In the Right-Hander! My Twenty-Two Years in the Major Leagues, by Jerry Reuss
- The Chalmers Race: Ty Cobb, Napoleon Lajoie, and the Controversial 1910 Batting Title That Became a National Obsession, by Rick Huhn
- The Continental League: A Personal History, by Russell D. Buhite
- The Bilko Athletic Club: The Story of the 1956 Los Angeles Angels, by Gaylon H. White
- Pitching Around Fidel: A Journey into the Heart of Cuban Sports, by S.L. Price
- The Cubs Quotient: How The Chicago Cubs Changed The World, by Scott Rowan
- Down To The Last Pitch: How the 1991 Minnesota Twins and Atlanta Braves Gave Us the Best World Series of All Time, by Tim Wendel
- 1954: The Year Willie Mays And The First Generation Of Black Superstars Changed Major League Baseball Forever, by Bill Madden
- Mover and Shaker: Walter O’Malley, The Dodgers, and Baseball’s Westward Expansion, by Andy McCue
- Called Out But Safe: A Baseball Umpire’s Journey, by Al Clark with Dan Schlossberg
- How to Speak Baseball: An Illustrated Guide to Ballpark Banter, by James Charlton and Sally Cook
- Shane Victorino: The Flyin’ Hawaiian, by Alan Maimon
- Wrigley Field Year by Year: A Century at the Friendly Confines, by Sam Pathy
- Black Baseball, Black Business: Race Enterprise and the Fate of the Segregated Dollar, by Roberta J. Newman and Nathan Rosen
- Thar’s Joy in Braveland! The 1957 Milwaukee Braves, edited by Gregory H. Wolf
- The Ashippun Trap, by Doug Welch
- A Tribe Reborn: How The Cleveland Indians Of The ’90’s Went From Cellar Dwellers To Playoff Contenders, by George Christian Pappas
- Baseball in Hawai’i, by Jim Vitti
- Minnesota Twins Baseball: Hardball History On The Prairie, by Stew Thornley
- The Best Seat In Baseball, But You Have To Stand!: The Game As Umpires See It, by Lee Gutkind
- Star Spangled Baseball: True Tales Of Flags And Fields, by James Breig
To see previous listings in the SABR Bookshelf, click here.
Originally published: May 6, 2014. Last Updated: May 6, 2014.