The SABR Bookshelf is a listing of books received at the SABR office. To get your NEW book listed on The SABR Bookshelf, make sure a review copy is sent to: The SABR Bookshelf, Society for American Baseball Research, 4455 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. D-140, Phoenix, AZ 85018.
To ensure a listing in The Baseball Index — SABR’s online catalog of baseball research materials at www.baseballindex.org — make sure a review copy is sent to The Baseball Index, 4025 Beechwood Pl., Riverside, CA 92506.
Bolded names indicates that the author(s) is a SABR member. Click here for a list of publishers found in the SABR Bookshelf, along with their contact information.
All new SABR Bookshelf listings can be purchased at the SABR Bookstore, powered by Amazon.com.
Click the link above for more detailed information on each of these books:
- Before the Curse: The Chicago Cubs’ Glory Years, by Randy Roberts & Carson Cunningham
- Trading Manny: How A Father & Son Learned To Love Baseball Again, by Jim Gullo
- Summer of ’68: The Season that Changed Baseball — and America — Forever, by Tim Wendel
- 1924 and You Are There!, by Jeff Polman
- The School With All The Catchers: A History of the Crawford High School Baseball Program, by Joe Naiman
- The South Bend Blue Sox: A History of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League Team and Its Players, 1943-1954, by Jim Sargent and Robert M. Gorman
- Long Taters: A Baseball Biography of George “Boomer” Scott, by Ron Anderson
- Eliot Asinof and the Truth of the Game: A Critical Study of the Baseball Writings, by William Farina
- A Member of the Local Nine: Baseball and Identity in the Fiction of W.P. Kinsella, by William Steele
- The Battling Bucs of 1925: How the Pittsburgh Pirates Pulled Off the Greatest Comeback in World Series History, by Ronald T. Waldo
- Red Sox Roll Call: 200 Memorable Players, 1901-2011, by William F. McNeil
- The Mental Road to the Major Leagues: A Guide for Rising Ballplayers, by Kelly J. Pfaff and Peder N. Piering
- The Barnstorming Hawaiian Travelers: A Multiethnic Baseball Team Tours the Mainland, 1912-1916, by Joel S. Franks
- Baseball’s War Roster: A Biographical Dictionary of Major and Negro League Players Who Served, 1861 to the Present, by Brett Kiser
- Center Field Grasses: Poems from Baseball, by Gene Fehler
- Tiger Stadium, Comerica Park: History & Memories, by Irwin J. Cohen
- Baseball Between Us: A Road Map to a Winning Father/Son Relationship, by Mike Luery
- Travels with Ghosts and Other Tales, by Joe Scherrman and Suzanne Wright, eds.
- The Wonder Team in the White City: U.V.M. At the Intercollegiate Base Ball Tournament of 1893, by Tom Simon
- Jack and Larry, the Cleveland Baseball Dog, by Barbara Gregorich
- Wrigley Field: The Unauthorized Biography, by Stuart Shea
- The Last Icon: Tom Seaver and His Times, by Steven Travers
- Best Mets: Fifty Years of Highs and Lows from New York’s Most Agonizingly Amazin’ Team, by Matthew Silverman
- Willy’s Ballgame, by Dennis N. Ricci
- Hot Hand: The Statistics Behind Sports’ Greatest Streaks, by Alan Reifman
- Celebrating Ourselves: African-Americans and the Promise of Baseball, by Daryl Russell Grigsby
- 3 Tales From the Grand Old Game, by Austin Gisriel
Originally published: February 10, 2012. Last Updated: February 10, 2012.