SABR was in Miami for the 2017 MLB All-Star FanFest!
SABR members participated in several panels during All-Star Weekend at the MLB.com stage. To learn more about the All-Star FanFest, July 7-11, 2017, at the Miami Beach Convention Center (1901 Convention Center Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139), click here.
Click play below to watch the SABR FanFest panels from Miami:
Tony Perez and Eduardo Perez
3:00 p.m., Saturday, July 8
- Tony Perez: Tony was one of the premier run-producers of his generation, who helped lead Cincinnati’s “Big Red Machine” to four NL pennants and two World Series championships during the 1970s. He was a seven-time NL All-Star first baseman who hit 379 home runs and drove in 1,652 runs in 23 seasons. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000. After brief managerial stints with the Reds (1993) and Marlins (2001), he now serves as the Marlins’ Special Assistant to the President.
- Eduardo Perez: Eduardo, son of Tony, is an analyst for ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight.” He was the Houston Astros’ bench coach in 2013 after two seasons as the Miami Marlins’ hitting coach. He has served as manager of the Colombian national team and as manager and general manager of the Puerto Rican national team. In 2008, he earned Manager of the Year honors in the Puerto Rican Winter League and in 2009 he led the Ponce Lions to the Caribbean Series. From 1993-2006, Eduardo played parts of 13 seasons in the Major Leagues, primarily as a first baseman, for the Angels, Cardinals, Reds, Devil Rays, Indians and Mariners. He joined ESPN as an analyst for the 2006 postseason and worked full-time for the network for the next four seasons.
(Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-whiLV8RdM)
SABR Analytics Panel
4:30 p.m., Sunday, July 9
- Brian Kenny is a host at MLB Network, where he appears across the network’s studio programming, including “MLB Now” and “MLB Tonight.” A 25-year national TV and radio veteran, Brian joined MLB Network from ESPN, where he was a “SportsCenter” anchor, host of the Brian Kenny Show on ESPN Radio and an Emmy Award-winning anchor for “Baseball Tonight.” He is the author of Ahead of the Curve: Inside the Baseball Revolution, published in 2016 and winner of the SABR Baseball Research Award.
- Vince Gennaro is the President of SABR’s Board of Directors and author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball. He is a consultant to MLB teams, appears regularly on MLB Network, and director of Columbia University’s sports management graduate program. He also hosts the syndicated MLB Network Radio program, Behind the Numbers: Baseball SABR Style on SiriusXM on Sunday nights. He is also the architect of the Diamond Dollars Case Competition series, which brings together students and MLB team and league executives and serves as a unique learning experience, as well as a networking opportunity for aspiring sports executives.
(Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsvEktF97RI)
To view a photo gallery from 2017 All-Star FanFest, click here or scroll below:
To learn more about the 2017 All-Star FanFest, click here.
- Watch SABR panels from the 2016 MLB All-Star FanFest in San Diego
- Watch SABR panels from the 2015 MLB All-Star FanFest in Cincinnati
- Watch SABR panels from the 2014 MLB All-Star FanFest in Minnesota
- Watch SABR panels from the 2013 MLB All-Star FanFest in New York
- Watch SABR panels from the 2012 MLB All-Star FanFest in Kansas City
- Watch SABR panels from the 2011 MLB All-Star FanFest in Phoenix
Originally published: July 10, 2017. Last Updated: July 10, 2017.