SABR was in Minnesota for the 2014 MLB All-Star FanFest!
SABR members participated in a variety of panels throughout All-Star Weekend. To learn more about the All-Star FanFest, held July 11-15, 2014, at the Minneapolis Convention Center (1301 Second Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55403), visit http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2014/index.jsp?content=asg_fanfest.
Watch our 2014 SABR panels at FanFest by clicking on the links below:
The History of the Twins and Baseball in Minnesota
2:00-3:00 p.m., Friday, July 11
- John Bonnes: Managing partner and co-owner of Twins Daily, a local website devoted to the Minnesota Twins, and co-host of the popular “Gleeman and the Geek” podcast.
- Joel Rippel: Minneapolis Star-Tribune writer and editor who has written several sports books on Minnesota sports history.
- John Swol: Author of Twins Trivia and founder of a website under the same name.
- Moderator: Doug Skipper: President of SABR’s Halsey Hall Chapter in Minnesota; he has also written numerous biographies for the SABR BioProject.
SABR Statistical Analysis Panel
2:30-3:30 p.m., Saturday, July 12
- Mike Ferrin: MLB Network Radio host on SiriusXM; co-host with former GM Jim Duquette of “Power Alley” show.
- Jack Moore: Contributing writer for Sports on Earth, The Score, The Cauldron, The Classical, FanGraphs, and other sports websites.
- Bill Parker: SABR member and co-founder of The Platoon Advantage website; his baseball writing has also appeared at ESPN.com, Baseball Prospectus, and SB Nation.
- Moderator: Vince Gennaro: SABR President, author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball, consultant to MLB teams, director of Columbia University’s Master of Science sports management graduate program.
Toni Stone Panel
1:30-2:30 p.m., Sunday, July 13
- Peter Gorton: Negro Leagues historian, founder of the John Donaldson Network, co-author of “John Donaldson and Black Baseball in Minnesota” (The National Pastime, 2012).
- Stew Thornley: Editor of Baseball in Minnesota and other Minnesota baseball history books, author of Toni Stone biography for the SABR BioProject, official scorer for the Minnesota Twins.
- Frank White: Founder of Respect Sports, coordinator for the Minnesota Twins RBI program, and helped with the renaming of Toni Stone Field in St. Paul.
- Moderator: Leslie Heaphy: SABR Director, Negro Leagues historian and author, chair of SABR’s Women in Baseball Committee.
Official Scorers Panel
5:00-6:00 p.m., Monday, July 14
- Ron Roth: Official scorer, Cincinnati Reds.
- Stew Thornley: Official scorer, Minnesota Twins; member of MLB Official Scoring Advisory Committee.
- Gregg Wong: Official scorer, Minnesota Twins.
- Moderator: Dan Levitt: Author of Ed Barrow: The Bulldog who Built the Yankees’ First Dynasty and the award-winning The Battle that Forged Modern Baseball: The Federal League Challenge and Its Legacy, co-author of Paths to Glory: How Great Baseball Teams Got That Way, editor of SABR’s The National Pastime 2012 convention journal.
The Twin City Stadiums—Yesterday and Today
5:00-6:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 15
- Kristin Anderson: SABR member, Professor of Art History at Augsburg College, president of the Minnesota Chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians who is co-authoring a book on the history of sports facilities in the Twin Cities.
- Logan Gerken: Director of Architecture at Ryan Companies, co-author of Sustainable Buildings for the Public Realm, and ballpark architect who is working on the new St. Paul Saints stadium.
- Joe O’Connell: Charter member of the Halsey Hall Chapter who has done extensive research on the American Association’s St. Paul Saints from before the arrival of the Twins.
- Moderator: Chris Kimball: President of California Lutheran University and a historian who specializes in American urban history; he has taught courses on the history of baseball. Co-author of an upcoming book on the history of sports facilities in the Twin Cities.
To learn more about the 2014 MLB All-Star FanFest, click here.
- Watch SABR panels from the 2013 MLB All-Star FanFest in New York
- Watch SABR panels from the 2012 MLB All-Star FanFest in Kansas City
- Watch SABR panels from the 2011 MLB All-Star FanFest in Phoenix
Originally published: July 2, 2014. Last Updated: July 2, 2014.