SABR members comprise a special breed of individuals, drawn to out-of-the-way places to spy an old ballpark, visit a historical marker, or pay their respects at the grave of a late ballplayer. Until now, there had not been a comprehensive checklist or map to document the staggering array of baseball-related sites located across North America. The Baseball Landmarks Committee endeavors to fill this need with the SABR Baseball Map:
(Click on the image above to view the map at Maptive.com.)
What you will find on the map:
- BALLPARKS – Active Major League, MiLB, Independent Minor League, and Summer Collegiate Leagues (categorized by level)
- STATUES – Statues, busts, sculptures of players, managers/coaches, broadcasters, owners
- MARKERS – Historical markers and monuments for people, places, events
- MURALS – Murals and public art featuring baseball-related themes
- MUSEUMS – Museums, permanent exhibits, displays dedicated to baseball
- GRAVES – Select gravesites with GPS coordinates to area of headstone
- MOVIE LOCATIONS – Distinctive baseball movie filming locations
- SITES – Miscellaneous roadside attractions and photo opportunities
Click here to watch a preview of the SABR Baseball Map in action:
Or click here to watch a full tutorial of the SABR Baseball Map, led by John Racanelli.
Corrections: If you know of corrections to be made or have a new baseball-related site for consideration, please click here to submit any updates.
Website: Learn more about baseball landmarks at The Hardball Voyager, the Landmarks Committee’s new website, at sabrlandmarks.com.
Announcements: To sign up for email announcements from this committee, click the “Announcements” button above, then click “Join Group” (). All SABR members are eligible to sign up for announcements from any committee.
Contacts: For more information, or to get involved, contact a committee leader below: