Spring 2012 Baseball Research Journal
Volume 41, Issue 1
- The Bible and the Apocrypha
Pitchers Dig the Long Ball (At Least When They Are Hitting)
There have been many pitchers who also excelled with the bat, hurlers who could help their team with the stick as well as with their arm. This article will look at some of the most proficient home run-hitting pitchers in the major leagues and some of their accomplishments.
- Hank Greenberg's American League RBI Record
- Breaking Balls with a Runner on Third: A Game Theoretical Analysis of Optimal Behavior
Are Baseball Players Superior to Umpires in Discriminating Balls to Strikes?
Missed, bad or wrong calls are part of nearly every game and can have an influence on the run of the play as well as the final score. Emotions can run particularly high when a player perceives a pitched ball is out of the strike zone but the umpire calls “strike.” Is it possible that a batter is better at judging whether a ball is in the strike zone than an umpire? If so, what can this be attributed to?
Johnny Vander Meer's Third No-Hitter
During his major league career, Johnny Vander Meer possessed a lively fast ball, an effective sinker and a reputation for wildness. At 37, with his double no-hitter for the Cincinnati Reds long behind him, the Dutch Master rose on one last occasion to capture the imagination of the baseball world.
- Pop Kelchner, Gentleman Jake, The Giant-Killer, and the Kane Mountaineers
- American Women Play Hardball in Venezuela: Team USA battles invisibility at home, is celebrated abroad, and faces gunfire at the Women’s World Cup
- Global World Series: 1955-57
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Baseball
- Babe Ruth and Eiji Sawamura
- Expos Get First Franchise No-Hitter Right Out of the Gate
- One Trade, Three Teams, and Reversal of Fortune
- 1906 Cleveland Naps: Deadball Era Underachiever
Download the PDF
SABR members, you can now download the Baseball Research Journal to your computer or e-reader!
Click the cover image or link below to download the PDF file (3.2 MB) of the Spring 2012 Baseball Research Journal, Vol. 41, No. 1. (Sorry, Kindle and EPUB versions are not available.)
Download the Spring 2012 Baseball Research Journal here: https://sabr.box.com/shared/static/30aff76945d3904ff94f.pdf
- Appendix 1: Tigers games for which the exact details for the runs scored and runs batted in are not yet complete
- Appendix 2: Supporting Documentation for the Corrections of the RBI Errors in Hank Greenberg’s Official DBD Record
- Appendix 3: Retrosheet box scores for Tigers-Athletics games on 20 June 1937
- Appendix 4: RBIs given in newspaper box scores for games played between the Tigers and Athletics in Philadelphia during the 1937 season
- Appendix 5: Analysis of newspaper box scores for the second game of the double header between the Tigers and Athletics on June 20, 1937
- Appendix 6: Retrosheet Box score for Tigers-Athletics Second Game on 20 June 1937
- Editor's Note