Diamond Dollars Case Competition
The Diamond Dollars Case Competition is back at the SABR Analytics Conference, March 13-15, 2014 in Phoenix, Arizona. Scroll down to see the full presentation schedule.
The popular Case Competition provides student teams from undergraduate and graduate and professional programs from around the country to compete against each other to solve a case that encompasses the real-world decisions facing a baseball front office.
Students will compete against each other by preparing an analysis and presentation of a real baseball operations decision — the type of decision a team's GM and his staff is faced with over the course of a season. Five-person teams of students are asked to evaluate proposed player transactions, apply statistical analysis of player performance and assess the financial impact of the team's proposed moves. Students will have 3 to 4 days to apply their critical thinking skills to address the questions posed in the case, followed by the opportunity to present their analysis and recommendations to a panel of judges, which will include MLB front office executives, at the Phoenix event.
The case will be authored and led by SABR President Vince Gennaro, a consultant to MLB teams, someone who's been in the front office helping teams analyze key baseball operations decisions. Vince is the author of Diamond Dollars: The Economics of Winning in Baseball and a regular contributor to MLB Network's Clubhouse Confidential, the first show of its kind focused on baseball analytics.
For more information on rules and entry requirements, click here.
Ultimately, winning teams will be selected by the judges in each of the undergraduate and graduate/professional school categories.
The undergraduate winners at the past two SABR Analytics Conferences were NYU-Tisch School (2013) and Yale University (2012). The past winners in the graduate/professional school division were Pepperdine University School of Law/Graziadio School of Business (2013) and University of Chicago-Booth (2012).
Six alumni from the 2012 and 2013 Diamond Dollars Case Competitions have secured internships or permanent positions within Major League Baseball.
Registration to participate in the Case Competition will include admission to the SABR Analytics Conference. Also in its third year, the Analytics Conference is a unique gathering which brings together the top minds of the baseball analytic community to discuss, debate and share insightful ways to analyze and examine the great game of baseball.
The third annual SABR Analytics Conference is March 13-15, 2014 at the Hyatt Regency in Phoenix, Arizona, with a schedule that includes a combination of guest speakers, panels, and research presentations.
To learn more about the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference, visit SABR.org/analytics.
2014 DIAMOND DOLLARS CASE COMPETITION
THURSDAY, MARCH 13, 2014
HYATT REGENCY PHOENIX
- Opening remarks by Vince Gennaro, 8:30-9:00 a.m.
- University of San Francisco-School of Management (San Francisco, CA), 9:00-9:30 a.m.
- Pepperdine University-School of Law and Graziadio School of Business (Malibu, CA), 9:35-10:05 a.m.
- Carnegie Mellon-Tepper School of Business (Pittsburgh, PA), 10:10-10:40 a.m.
- Loras College (Dubuque, IA), 11:00-11:30 a.m.
- University of Chicago-Booth (Chicago, IL), 11:35 a.m.-12:05 p.m.
- Tufts University Team 1 (Medford, MA), 9:00-9:30 a.m.
- Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ), 9:35-10:05 a.m.
- NYU-SCPS Tisch Center (New York, NY), 10:10-10:40 a.m.
- Ohio University (Athens, OH), 11:00-11:30 a.m.
- Cornell University (Ithaca, NY), 11:35 a.m.-12:05 p.m.
- Rice University (Houston, TX), 9:00-9:30 a.m.
- Elon University (Elon, NC), 9:35-10:05 a.m.
- VCU-Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School (Richmond, VA), 10:10-10:40 a.m.
- Macalester College (St. Paul, MN), 11:00-11:30 a.m.
- Tufts University Team 2 (Medford, MA), 11:35 a.m.-12:05 p.m.
- Tulane University Law School (New Orleans, LA), 9:00-9:30 a.m.
- University of Alabama-Manderson School of Business (Tuscaloosa, AL), 9:35-10:05 a.m.
- Santa Clara University-Leavey School of Business (Santa Clara, CA), 10:10-10:40 a.m.
- St. John Fisher College (Rochester, NY), 11:00-11:30 a.m.
- Duke University-Fuqua School of Business (Durham, NC), 11:35 a.m.-12:05 p.m.